Which carbs do I have? Earlfor??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which carbs do I have? Earlfor??

Well I got my new main jets from bike bandit. My concerns were well grounded: the ones they sent are not even close. My carbs have the round flat short type, as I found as I tore into them to replace them with the ones in the mail. The ones I need look like THIS:

So does this mean I don't have VM carbs? Earlfor told me he was 101% sure I needed the large hex type mains and obviously thats not right so what carbs do I have? Here are some pics of my carbs:

Ideas?

Those are VM carbs buddy. I am not sure what to tell you about the jets other than maybe someone else already rejetted them?

But they are VM carbs for sure.

Comment

DEFINITELY VM CARBS.

that pic you showed, is the screw that goes on top , and locks in, the main jet on my carbs (BS carbs). I dont know how they would be the same.....but maybe they are??

Comment

Re: Which carbs do I have? Earlfor??

The pictures are of VM carbs. I just went into my shop and thumbed through my scrap parts bin. The original jets I replaced in my VM carb 750 are hex.
        They are not the same jets as the ones in your pictures. I do not know why yours are different than mine.

Earl

[quote="pasteurized"]Well I got my new main jets from bike bandit. My concerns were well grounded: the ones they sent are not even close. My carbs have the round flat short type, as I found as I tore into them to replace them with the ones in the mail. The ones I need look like THIS:
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

did you doubt earlfor?!!??!! 8O OH NO!!!

Comment

It looks as if someone may have done a funky rejet job on them at one time or another? Is that possible to put the kind he has in where the factory ones went?

Comment

What's interesting is that the jets in the carbs are the round kind like i showed you but they are the stock size (102.5)... I'm very stumped!

Oh and I didn't doubt Earlfor at all, I'm just dumbfounded at some of the stuff on this bike!

Comment

jets

My Vm's have the round jets with hex holders they work just fine, the hex I think are for Kiehn carbs, and 750's with mikuni carbs witch there are five combinations of stock jets for, depending on model and export,but the 1000's use a round jet, and the carbs are the same except the metering parts,if they are about the same length then it should make no difference, round or hex but if there longer they may be so long that the jet bottoms in the bowl, or is so close that you may starve for fuel

Comment

As everyone else has said, those are definitely VM carbs - virtually identical to the ones I'm finishing up the rebuild on for my 78 GS750. This is a link to a pic of the main jet assembly I removed:

Comment

Those are VM slide carbs. ARE they from your 750?? If they are I think you have the wrong carbs Measure the intake side it should be 26mm It looks to me like you have the 22mm maybe 24mm carbs from a GS550

Comment

Yes, on closer inspection, your carbs have little raised ridges on the body and mine are smooth. There's a 78 550e on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...534739222&rd=1 and in the pictures you can see the same ridges on the body. I'd definitely measure them as Lynn suggested.

Comment

On a closer look at the pic, I'm reasonably sure they are Mikuni VM carbs, but I have never seen that model of carb mounted on a 750. I do not think that is the correct size carb for the bike. The required carb is a VM26.

Earl

quote="ptm"]Yes, on closer inspection, your carbs have little raised ridges on the body and mine are smooth. There's a 78 550e on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...534739222&rd=1 and in the pictures you can see the same ridges on the body. I'd definitely measure them as Lynn suggested.[/quote]
                        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I do not think they are from a GS 550: those had a different carb spacing pattern and the linkage connection was between 3 & 4 rather than 2 & 3. The most common carbs like this come from kz650s. A more definitve answer may come from checking the other carb part specs, such as needle#, pilot#, and cutaway#. Did you measure the inner throat size of these carbs (the throat going into the motor)? Did these carbs come out of the boots real easily (although the boots may have been swapped too)?

Comment

There is a set of GS750 carbs on ebay Be carefull he has 0 feedback http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...536402847&rd=1

Comment

Working...
                            X