Great way to polish your cases.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great way to polish your cases.

Been through several ways to polish my cases with no luck until today. It is by far the best method yet. Take steel wool and rubbing compund mixed with a bit of elbow grease your cases and lower portion of your forks will shine like new.

Jay, if it really worked out out good for you then put this in the tips section. I would think that you should use the finest steel wool possible?

Comment

I use this method for a mirror finish:

1. rub the cover with Mothers wadding polish to get it wet with the compound
      2. scrub real hard with a Scotch Brite pad
      3. scrub real good with the Mothers wadding
      4. polish with a clean cotton rag

Looks nice!
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I've put a polish job on 4 bikes so far and the best method I've found for a bike that still has the factory clear coat or paint is to remove the part and spray it with aircraft paint remover, wash it off with water, spray the part down with WD40 and scrub it with steel wool (fine grade sanding sponges from Home Depot work great) make sure you keep the part lubed with WD40 during the sanding stage, clean off the part, go back with some mothers metal polish or blue max and a rag for a finish polish. I've done this to almost every external engine part on my CBR and people think its chrome plated. I also did it on the GS to take off the factory clear coat that had weathered to the point that no amount of polish would make it shine. I usually repolish about every other month with mothers and a rag.

Comment

cases

OK guys, going to give everyone the secret...........
          I've been doing aluminum cases for 20years or so................
          Take the part off, don't worry if you rip the gasket, buy a new one.
          Warm soapy water, shampoo works well.
          If the casing is crappy use a higher grade sandpaper (YES SANDPAPER) but it must be the wet/dry kind, if not that bad, go lightly with 400 grade, DONT PUSH/RUB HARD, long even strokes, once all crapiness is out, it should look scored and dull... (that means your getting there)
          Wipe clean, now use same method with 800 grade, the score lines now should be nearly out if not gone.
          Wipe clean.........
          Go ahead with 1000 grade, make sure water is soapy, best putting the soapy stuff on and use the kitchen sink (WIFE WILLING).
          Once it looks like its getting there, wipe it and go ahead with 1200.
          1200 is a great grade for finishing and minor light scratches.
          Once you have done with 1200, completely dry it off.
          Now go ahead with your polish, I personally use Solvol Autosol, but can only be purchased in U.K (NO, you cant borrow mine)
          Within 2-3 mins you will be able to see your pretty face in your casing.
          Trust me, been doing this for years, I know what I am talking about, check my PICS on GS streetfighter (GS owners).
          Oh, the Solvol stuff runs rings around Mothers.
          You can also use Colorback and light grade wire wool.
          Also you can use a buffing wheel on a bench grinder (buffer wheel is about $8-$12 at Home depot) And I bid you all fairwell! Phil.

Comment

Thanks for all the great info, I just happen to have a bike at that stage.
            I think I will try all of them and the one that causes me minimum joint discomfort is the one I will stick with

Comment

Working...
            X