Probe-lem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probe-lem

Anybody ever actually keep the battery sensor trip working? I never got a sensor with the bike , and the light on the dash has a piece of black tape over it so it didn't drive the former owner batty. I bought a new battery with a probe, but testing it as the manual says gives me battery voltage, not 1.2-2 volts as the factory manual says. I tried another probe, same problem. I went to Suzuki, but they want over $50.00CDN just for the stinkin' probe! Ideas? Comments?
    Kevin
    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Both my 1100's have a working probe, bought the last one from BikeBandit for less than $20.00.

Comment

I dont remember clearly but isnt the probe just a resistor r is there another item between the resistor and the electrolyte-my thought is just to get a resistor and wire it in. The battery acid on the lead??? Does anyone remember what the probe looks like. i,m quite sure it is just a conduction problem to controll the batt light.

Comment

On both my 1100's the battery light is supposed to connect to a lead right on the battery. The battery that is compatable is about $120. I can live without the light for that kind of money.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I just had to replace a battery on my 83 1100 and since I was annoyed by the battery light I bought a battery sensor too. I just bought a cheapy Oreilly battery and pushed the new probe into the 3rd hole and plugged in the connection and the light hasn't came back on yet, but I've only ridden it 20 miles since. I tried to find where I had read that it was only there to sense fluid level so that the battery wouldn't get too dry, but I can't find it in the manual so I'm not sure.

Comment

My solution is to remove the bulb from the instrument panel and use a sealed, maintenance free battery. :-)

Earl
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

PROBE-LEM

I JUST USE A VOLTAGE METER WIRERED INTO THE SYSTEM

Comment

Working...
              X