Difficulty shifting 1st to 2nd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difficulty shifting 1st to 2nd

OK, everything was working great when I put my 1980 GS850GL away for the winter. Last week I de-winterized it and started riding (still below freezing) and this little shift problem popped up. Also, winterizing included changing the engine oil and transmission oil.

It doesn't want to shift from 1st to 2nd when cold if I drive any distance in 1st. When it warms up it's fine. All the other shifts are fine, and I believe the clutch cable is adjusted properly per the manual (I have no trouble shifting into 1st from neutral). The bike has 12K miles and I assume the clutch is original.

Any ideas/suggestions? My solution at the moment is to do nothing. I'm thinking that it is just tight because of the low miles and cold weather.

Idle speed problem when cold?

Comment

It needs full choke to start cold, I get the choke off usually in 30 sec or so - because I've read about so many problems with running on choke very long - then I just take it easy for the first mile or so riding out of my neighborhood. By then It's warmed up, runs fine, idles fine.

Comment

WHat kind of oil are you using???
        There are 3 oils that need changing
        Engine oil is use to lube the trans
        Secondary gear set 90wt gear oil
        Rear Differential 90wt gear oil

Comment

It sounds like your clutch cable adjustment is slightly off. Try this test.
          Put the bike on the centerstand. Start it up. Pull in the clutch lever, put it in 1st gear. Place two fingers on the tread of the rear tire while holding the clutch lever. If you cant keep the rear tire from turning with two fingers while the bike is in 1st and at idle with the clutch pulled in, then you need to tighten your cclutch cable a wee bit.

Earl
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I should have been more specific. Yes, the lubes are correct - 10W-40 in the engine/clutch/trans case, 90WT hypoid in the secondary and rear end. All the lubes are appropriately rated for motorcycle.

Comment

Earl - Thanks, I'll give that a try - sounds like a more practical method to adjust cable than the manual gives.

Comment

Re: Difficulty shifting 1st to 2nd

Originally posted by DC_GS850L
                OK, everything was working great when I put my 1980 GS850GL away for the winter. Last week I de-winterized it and started riding (still below freezing) and this little shift problem popped up. Also, winterizing included changing the engine oil and transmission oil.

It doesn't want to shift from 1st to 2nd when cold if I drive any distance in 1st. When it warms up it's fine. All the other shifts are fine, and I believe the clutch cable is adjusted properly per the manual (I have no trouble shifting into 1st from neutral). The bike has 12K miles and I assume the clutch is original.

Any ideas/suggestions? My solution at the moment is to do nothing. I'm thinking that it is just tight because of the low miles and cold weather.
                As I have been driving my 850 all winter (no car) and the temps around 35 to 40 my bike is a hard shifter especially 1st and 2nd when cold, but after it warms up a little, it smooths out. When cold and clutch in and I shift to 1st, It wants to take off, nature of the beast in the cold.

Comment

I have a hard time shifting, even when my bike is nice an warm. I'm gonna have to check my clutch cable adjustment, b/c its gotta be off (when sitting in 1st, my bike tends to keep going forward at walking speed

Comment

cold oil

Might you be familair with the old TV program "Taxi"? Latka (Andy Kaufman) was having repeated problems with his car. In his unique voice & mannerisms he says. "I found what problem is with my car, the problem is winter."

You say it shifts okay when it warms up, when oil is warm-thinner. This Michigander has similar problems when its cold (and bike wants to learch foward when first put in gear). Is okay after engine oil warms up a while. The colder-thicker oil is holding the clutch plates together some or transmiting enough tourque between the plates to act the same as if the cable isnt adjusted enough to keep plates apart. That my assessment of the situation.

Clutch situations are related to the engine oil (not rear gear drive oil, not front gear drive oil) as the clutch plates are in the engine oil.
                    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

try 5/50 syntec but sdjust the cable first.

Comment

Originally posted by Poot
                        I have a hard time shifting, even when my bike is nice an warm. I'm gonna have to check my clutch cable adjustment, b/c its gotta be off (when sitting in 1st, my bike tends to keep going forward at walking speed ops:
                        Mine did that last year, it was gas that had leaked into the crank and contaminated the oil

Comment

When my bike is cold (she sits in an unheated garage) I have a sticky clutch and hard shifting tranny. I pull the bike out about an hour before riding, and she warms up a bit in the sun. When I start 'er up, I idle for about 5 minutes, then can take off without problems. 8)

Comment

Working...
                          X