riiiich running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

riiiich running

Well, I've driven the '82 GS1100GK I bought last weekend about 300 miles already. I've had all kinds of popping and rough running. I pulled the plugs yesterday and found them to be pitch black with carbon. The plugs were replaced about 700 miles ago, and I haven't touched the carbs or anything else yet. Suggestions??

Re: riiiich running

Originally posted by yashana5783
    Well, I've driven the '82 GS1100GK I bought last weekend about 300 miles already. I've had all kinds of popping and rough running. I pulled the plugs yesterday and found them to be pitch black with carbon. The plugs were replaced about 700 miles ago, and I haven't touched the carbs or anything else yet. Suggestions??
    If all are black, check your air filter.

Comment

still rich

OK, I checked the air cleaner. It's a new K&N. Ran it during lunch and it's getting worse. Am I looking at getting the carbs synch'd? I could swear I smelled fuel. I checked the fuel filter and it's clear. Now I gotta run 70 miles back home tonite with it like this.

Comment

Ya, maybe you need to lean her out a bit. Carry a spark plug wrench and a spare set of plugs for your trip back to swap out if she gets really really bad.

Comment

If you smelled fuel, perhaps your float valves are worn or stuck open. This would allow the fuel level to get too high in the carburetor bowls, causing a rich mixture. If you got some bad gas, or if your tank is rusty, you could have some debris lodged in between the float needle and the seat. An inline fuel filter is higlhy recommended, if you don't already have one.

If you haven't touched the carburetors, I believe it is unlikely that they have gone out of adjustment to the point that you foul your plugs so quickly.

Synchronizing the carburetors will smooth out a rough idle, but won't help the mixture at all. It isn't a bad idea to do it, but get your mixture problems solved first.

Comment

OK, so now I know. When I first picked up the bike, I noticed some hesitation. I thought I'd help her out by adding some cleaner to the gas. WRONG!! Today, when she was sputtering back home, I thought I'd stop and try new fuel since I'd burned 1/2 a tank. About 1/3 the way home, I got over in the far lane by the airport, nailed it and let her lcear her throat. Seemed better, so about 2/3 the way home, I pulled into the rest stop off I-29, waited for traffic to clear, and really hammered it. She didn't even hiccup. So I know to leave the additives well enough alone. Thanx for the input everyone!!

Comment

Re: riiiich running

Considering you just bought the bike, the first thing I would check is the ignition timing. If its retarded, you can be getting an incomplete fuel burn and black plugs. Next I would check the float levels as if they are set too high, it will also cause fouled plugs.
              Make sure the air cleaner is clean also. Check to make sure that the choke/enrichener is actually off when you think its off. If these things are OK, then my next step would be to adjust the carbs. On my 750, balancing the carbs relative to amount of vacum effects the plug burn color. Too much low end vacum even if balanced
              wll have an effect. Lastly, I would check the pilot and airscrew settings and get some numbers from the guys that have 1100's.
              After comparing thoses numbers and deciding what to set to, if it still is running rich, the next step I would take would be to drop the needles.

Earl

Originally posted by yashana5783
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Could the plugs be getting oil fouled. Maybe the bike sat for a long time and the rings need to be freed up by riding it for a while. If one or more of them getts better after you ride it for a while the others should as well. You might a well tinker with the carb cleaning and balancing in the mean time. It sounds like your going to have to atleast pull the jets out and make sure they are the right size to be in use with K & N filters.

Comment

Working...
                X