Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad diaphragm?

No, nobody's pregnant. the question I had was,
    I have an 82 GS1100GL that runs great, but latley I have noticed #2 exhaust pipe is turning a little blue right about at the port. keep in mind that all the basics are covered, pet cock is new,carbs were super cleaned and dyno jetted, K&N filter, valve lash set, and a V&H 4-1 (I guess why I'm bummed is the blue pipe) The bike typically runs at about 5000 rpm constant to work and back with some good breef 9000 rpm runs on the weekends. what I was wondering was if #2 carb diaphragm had a small leak in it, would it cause a slight lean condition at a constant cruise? I have never run into this, but in my mind it seems to fit.

Re: Bad diaphragm?

I have my doubts a diaphram leak is the cause. I'm more inclined to think the synch on that carb is out of whack slightly.

Earl

Originally posted by kent
    No, nobody's pregnant. the question I had was,
    I have an 82 GS1100GL that runs great, but latley I have noticed #2 exhaust pipe is turning a little blue right about at the port. keep in mind that all the basics are covered, pet cock is new,carbs were super cleaned and dyno jetted, K&N filter, valve lash set, and a V&H 4-1 (I guess why I'm bummed is the blue pipe) The bike typically runs at about 5000 rpm constant to work and back with some good breef 9000 rpm runs on the weekends. what I was wondering was if #2 carb diaphragm had a small leak in it, would it cause a slight lean condition at a constant cruise? I have never run into this, but in my mind it seems to fit.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Ya know, I havent synced my carbs for about 2 years #-o , I'll let you know how it turns out 8)

Comment

Shame on you. :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by kent
        Ya know, I havent synced my carbs for about 2 years #-o , I'll let you know how it turns out 8)

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Just bear with me, I'm trying to talk myself through this.

If a slide diaphragm is leaking, it wouldn't run lean or rich, you just wouldn't get full fuel flow moving through the passage because the slide wouldn't open enough to allow that to happen.

Am I thinking this through correctly?
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Yep. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Jethro

If a slide diaphragm is leaking, it wouldn't run lean or rich, you just wouldn't get full fuel flow moving through the passage because the slide wouldn't open enough to allow that to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro

Yes, specially above 4000 RPM.
              At this point the engine seems to fire three or two cylinders, depending in how much diaphragms is leaking.
              This happened my 2 years ago.

Comment

Working...
              X