1976 GT750 "Water Buffalo"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1976 GT750 "Water Buffalo"

So, a little off topic, but does anyone have much experience with this bike?

I have an opportunity to purchase three complete bikes. One bike needs absolutely nothing. The second bike needs rings, but aside from some engine work, the remainder of the bike is mint. The third bike is a complete "running" bike but really either a major restore or a decent parts bike.

So the price is $1,700.00 canadian for everything. Some feedback would be appreciated.

I don't have any experience with the GT750 only the GT250 but many members here have had the buffalo in the past.
    For the chance to get 3 , I would have to say jump on that deal. 8) 8) 8)
    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
    2000 Kawasaki Concours
    Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Grab it. They are becoming rare and are great bikes.

Comment

I owned a 73, blue with white stripe.
        It had twin discs in the front. I read the cra p out of it until.......
        one spring morning, bring it out of the basement into the garage.
        Top off all the fluids, and jump on the kick starter.....and hear a very nasty sound. In 73 the main bearings were just placed on the crank, not
        pressed on, if you had abnormal oil pressure in the brankcase, it ould push the bearing off the crank, out of the guide and cause the crank to.......shatter. This was a factory defect, mine had slipped thru the re-call.
        So Suzuki gave me a new crank, rods and pistons
        I paid labor to have it put back together and got a 6 month warranty.
        While it was apart they cleaned up the ports. The other change was the pistons were not a pop up style with a semi hemi head.
        So compression went from a mild 6 or 7:1 to about 9:1.
        This bike ran like a top. My first long ride, from outside Boston Ma to Fredericton New Brunswick. About 425 miles one way.
        Did another 1000 miles up there in a week. I loved the bike.
        Kinda big, needs some suspension to help it handle better.
        But that motor just keep going.
        Be careful with the oil injection. There's a fine line between smokescreen and seizure. Big bike that will run all day on any kind of road.
        It never overheated. Never left me stranded.
        Has it's own funky sound. I had expansion chamber tucked in the stock pipes. Speaking of pipes, look under the bike where the center pipe splits,
        they were famous for rusting at that junction.

I loved mine, sometimes I wish I still had it......the an RE-5 showed up
        Keith
        -------------------------------------------
        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

The GT series are great bikes. Very well constructed and seem to run forever. Plus they have buttloads of power to boot. My first bike was a GT380 - I loved that bike. It had nearly 50,000 miles on it (most of which were from me) when I got rid of it.

Go for it. You won't regret.

Comment

gt

look up Sundial MotoSports on the web

Comment

I had a GT380 also It needed major help in the brake dept, you have NO engine braking

Comment

I had a 1973 I bought new that I put over 100,000 miles on in the 10 years I had her. Get them. They are fun, unique bikes. Very strongly built. Electronic ignition, better frame and suspension would have really made this a superb motorscooter.

A true story: At a dealer nearby they got in a totalled GT750, don't rememner what year. For fun, and in the interest of science, they started it, locked the throttle wide open, and walked away. After about 15 minutes of running wide open, they shut it off because the noise was bothering them.

Comment

Working...
                X