Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS 1ooo carb question

Hello...

I'm new here but I'm a regular over at ProjectBronco.com...... I have a question I hope you all will help me out with.....

I have a 4 wheeler I'm building that has a 78 GS 1000 engine on it.... And I need to know how to jet the carb...... It's a stock engine, with two into two exhaust, but no air cleaner..... I have a "slight clearence issue" so unless I get real creative and make one fit I think it's going to have to live without it...........

what are the stock size jets and what size Idle, and main jets should I run.... how many turns out should I set the air/fuel mixture screw.....

And if it acts as if it wants to go but just hits a wall/ falls on its face.....

Check here http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/jetting/default.htm There is a lot of trial and error in jetting I would get a jet kit if possible.
    I think the 1000 has a #95 main jet stock

Comment

with out teh air box and air filter that motor will run so lean that it will bearly run at all, like it was suggested check out the above website, you are going to need to richen every circut in the carbs, turn out teh mix skrew raise teh needle adn bigger mains.
      your best bet is to buy a 78-79 gs1000 dyna jet kit for the motor

-ryan
      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x
      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

If this 4 wheeler is going in the dirt, you need some kind of air filter.
        The stock main jet is #95.
        The jet needle's e-clip is in position 3.
        The pilot jet is #15.
        The pilot fuel screw underneath is generally 1 turn out.
        You won't be able to raise the stock jet needle enough for a no filter situation. A DJ jet needle MIGHT work. You'd probably need at least a 130 Mikuni main jet. A 17.5 pilot jet with an additional turn out on the pilot fuel screws may do it, or a 20 pilot jet.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Thanks guy's ...I appreciate the info......

Comment

Working...
          X