Mounting & Wiring Dyna Coil in a 78 GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mounting & Wiring Dyna Coil in a 78 GS1000

I have a question about the coils. It says for Suzuki to mount them with the outputs pointing down and facing forward. But I put one in that way and if I do that it looks like it is going to put an awefully tight bend on the wire coming out of the front most post to get it bent down. If I mount them pointing back then is looks like it will be OK but without the motor installed I can?t tell what else I am going to run into? Has anyone put Dyna coils in a 78 GS1000 before? If so, which way did you point the outputs? Towards the front of the bike or the back?

Also, the dumb things came with no wiring diagram so I am wondering about the two terminals where you connect the feeds. Do I use just either one of them or is one for firing one leg and the other one for the other?

I hope that makes sense, any help is appreciated.

Hoomgar this is a link to the info on Dyna's web site.

basically what it says is that there is no polarity on the coils screws. I haven't hook them up on a 79 GS1000, but on my 83 GS1100 I installed them with the towers pointing towards the rear, for the same reason that you state. I also modified the stock bracket by cutting a little bit of it off on both side so that they would fit.

Comment

I mounted the Dyna coils on my 1100 with the plug wires facing up and rearwards. Which way you face them makes no difference. With them up and to the rear, that lets the wires run over the top and make a easy curve down to the spark plugs. For the wiring, there is no polarity.

Earl
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thx guys. George, that pdf you gave a link to is a copy of the paper that came with the coils. That isn't helping me with wiring it. I was hoping maybe there was a diagram. It doesn't explain the answer to my question. Once I get it I am sure the light in my noggin will come on but without knowing that paper doesn't help much at all.

I will try that Earl, I'll have to see if there is anough room under the tank. We'll be cutting in new wires so having them long enough wont be an issue.

There is no polarity I understand but does that mean then that I simply connect to either one of those two terminals and not both? That's what I wasn't clear on.

My stock coils have two wires on them each. Help the dummy out here, the light isn't coming on just yet.

Thanks

Comment

Hoomgar, you connect one wire to each terminal just like the stock coils. The no polarity, just means it doesn't matter which one goes where

Comment

Originally posted by dgeorge
            Hoomgar, you connect one wire to each terminal just like the stock coils. The no polarity, just means it doesn't matter which one goes where

I almost wish I could delete this thread

Thx George 8-[

I was automatically dismissing that the stock wiring would be used at all I guess? :roll:

I was thinking that where they bolt on is one connection -

I just don't know how it works yet., once I do I'll be able to figure any of them out then.

Either way, I get it now.

Thx a lot man, really

Comment

Each coil has two terminals. One terminal is connected to 12+ power supply.
              This is usually a hot wire from your ignition switch that is turned on when the switch is turned on. The other terminal on a coil goes to the pickup/sensor on the right end of the crankshaft. That wire on the left coil goes to the crankshaft pickup on the left side of the breaker plate (1,4) On the right coil, the wire runs to the pickup on the right side of the breaker plate (2,3)

Earl

Originally posted by Hoomgar
              My stock coils have two wires on them each. Help the dummy out here, the light isn't coming on just yet.

Thanks
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                Each coil has two terminals. One terminal is connected to 12+ power supply.
                This is usually a hot wire from your ignition switch that is turned on when the switch is turned on. The other terminal on a coil goes to the pickup/sensor on the right end of the crankshaft. That wire on the left coil goes to the crankshaft pickup on the left side of the breaker plate (1,4) On the right coil, the wire runs to the pickup on the right side of the breaker plate (2,3)

Earl

Originally posted by Hoomgar

Thanks
                And that's how they make and break the voltage to the coil to make it fire then at the right time (timing). And they're switching the ground not the hot? Interesting

Cool, I leaned something

Comment

Hoomgar,

You want to know something that will really cook your goose? In DC applications, the negative is considered to be the source of power, not the positive. It is because of the direction electricity travels in a DC circuit!

That's just trivia for the day and does not have much to do with your coil installation!

-j
                  16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
                  13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
                  78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
                  Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
                  02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
                  12 Aprilia Shiver 750
                  82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Originally posted by jonr
                    Hoomgar,

You want to know something that will really cook your goose? In DC applications, the negative is considered to be the source of power, not the positive. It is because of the direction electricity travels in a DC circuit!

That's just trivia for the day and does not have much to do with your coil installation!

-j
                    It has a lot to do with my coil application and is correct

I majored in electronics and was a Ham Radio hobbiest for over twenty years. So no new news there but cycle repair is fairly new to me. I always rode them, broke them and then paid someone to fix them. I am trying to learn all I can now so I don't have to pay the man the rest of my life

I usually just need a diagram and I am OK. But lately the thinker is dumbing down. Must be old fart syndrome setting in :roll:

Comment

I mounted my Dyna coils with the towers facing forward.
                      I have what some may consider tight bends but not too tight. I was much more worried about the leads rubbing other parts over time. I used a few tie straps and the stock wire guides to get good routing. I also used a little tape to guard against the leads touching the tank. I gave the leads a good coating of silicone spray too. Silicone is great for making the leads last and not start cracking.
                      With all the wires, cables, etc, it can get kinda crowded under the tank.
                      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                      X