WTF are the three petcock settings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTF are the three petcock settings?

My "new" GS850's petcock is so old and dirty it's hard to tell what the writing is on the three settings, but I think it reads:

pointing right- PRI
    pointing left- RES
    pointing down- ?? (can't read)

I assumed that PRI means PRIMARY, as in, it should be in that position all the time unless I need to switch to reserve. I assumed that RES means RESERVE. Process of elimination tells me, therefor, that pointing down should be the OFF position.

However, the bike runs great in the down position. Not only that, but when I switch it to the PRI setting gas starts dribbling at a pretty good rate out of my carbs. Not only that, but when I removed my tank the only petcock position that stopped gas from pouring out was down (which is the position that I ride in).

So, WTF?

Thanks,
    James

The 3 positions, sounds like the same as mine.

As looking at the petcock, right would be PRIME. Which means constant gravity feed to the carbs. Don't leave it on this setting.

Down is Run. THis is the normal setting. It's vacuum fed to the carbs.

Left is reserve. Self explanatory. Leave it in this position after you run out of gas and are praying for a near by gas station. LOL.

Comment

I just learned this last week

pointing right- PRI
      pointing left- RES
      pointing down- ON

ON and RES deliver fuel when the engine pressure pulls the fuel throught the valve/petcock.

The PRI - prime lets the fuel run through all the time. usefull for filling the carbs after a rebuild. In my case getting the bike started in cold weather.

Comment

ah, great, thanks. PRI=Prime, not Primary. What's the best position to have it in when you remove your tank (or is there another, better, way to prevent fuel from leaking out)?

Comment

Just leave it in the on position IF the petcock is working properly it should not leak

Comment

I am so glad I am not the only person wondering about the three settings and why when I had the petcock set to PRI the carbs would leak some gas when the bike was shut off...

Comment

If you had that happen more than a couple of times. You need to change your oil. The gas can get into the oil and thin it out.

Brad tt

Comment

Be glad it's not a 1980 model. Suzuki came up with the damndest petcock for that year. No lever, it takes a small screwdriver to change settings...and there are only two settings On-Prime-On. There is no reserve. Other years you can buy a rebuild kit if you have problems. But not the '80. It's convert to a Pingle or pony up and buy the Gen Suzy part for $70!

Comment

Working...
                X