proper oil level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

proper oil level

Okay, 82 gs1100e, when checking the oil level it is 1/2 way between the L and the H while bike is not running, when bike is running no oil is in the sight glass. What is the proper way to chek the oil level. I did add oil so that the oil was between L and H while bike was running but then the bike started to blow oil and whire smoke out the exhaust pipe. Any advice?

The oil level should be between the two lines when engine is NOT running and the bike is on the centerstand (in other words: level).

Comment

oil level

So I dont need to worry, if the level is between the L and the H ,when not running and on the centerstand? Thanks

Comment

Re: oil level

Originally posted by tttjump
        So I dont need to worry, if the level is between the L and the H ,when not running and on the centerstand? Thanks
        No, that is exactly where it is supposed to be. What you need to worry about is if you blew any seals by running the bike overfilled with oil.

Put it on the centerstand and look at the glass. If it is all oil slowly loosen the drain plug to drip oil enough to make the top of the oil level visible in the glass. Be careful not to unscrew the plug all the way unless you want to replace all of the oil. Do this with motor NOT running of course.
        Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

When the bike is running you will NOT see oil in the window.

Comment

Overfilling any motor can cause severe problems. The oil gets 'whipped' by the crankshaft and turns to foam as air bubbles are mixed with the oil. This is not good as the oil is then part air and is unable to function properly.

Take a look at your oil. If it is still foamy, replace it.

Comment

If you will look at the top of either your oil filler cap or an embossed notation beside it, you will see a number such as 3200ml. If it says 3200ml, that means the correct amount of oil in the crankcase is 3200 milliliters, or 3.2 liters or 3.4 U.S. quarts.

Earl
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

My book says:

step 1) run engine for 10 minutes
                step 2) shut off engine and wait 1 minute
                step 3) check oil level..if low, fill to F mark

No oil in glass should be visible when engine is running.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                  If you will look at the top of either your oil filler cap or an embossed notation beside it, you will see a number such as 3200ml. If it says 3200ml, that means the correct amount of oil in the crankcase is 3200 milliliters, or 3.2 liters or 3.4 U.S. quarts.

Earl
                  How about if you have an aftermarket oil cooler.

Comment

I would add 1/2 qt for an oil cooler

Comment

Working...
                    X