Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS550ES 86 con un DEAD Starter. Estoy tambien?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550ES 86 con un DEAD Starter. Estoy tambien?

Hi folks. Bit of a question here. Got a 86 GS550ES with a dead starter. Best course of action?

My Ideas:
    Get a socket in there to take it out. (small quarters)
    Be forced to remove the Carburators, then take it out.
    Take it to a mechanic. Have them take it out.
    Cry at the expense. (Took it out of my wallet.)

And--
    Is there a better place for new starters than the Suzuki Natuaral - re 425 bucks?

Hope?

Thanks.[/i]

Can't these starters be rebuilt?

Comment

Hi David Welcome to the Great Silly-ones Resources re;Scotto/Price/Waters/1100ED fiasco
      Do what you have to to get the starter off.Take it apart and check the brushes/comutator.They are what usually go bad.Replace and clean.You can get the brushes through Bikebandit or Denniskirk.It will be a LOT cheaper than getting a rebuilt starter.It's not a hard job.

Comment

Holy cow, interesting avatar your have there hoyterb. 8O

Comment

Speedtrap of a GSXR1000 WIDEOPEN!! (not me)

Comment

It's not a terribly difficult job. You do have to pull the carbs. Then remove the cover for the starter. Pull the starter out and disassemble it. The commutator is the part the brushes make contact with. Take some fine emery cloth and polish it up. Then take something like a piece of a feeler guage and clean the debris out of the grooves of the commutator. As long as the starter hasn't shorted out or the brushes have worn beyond their limit this is all it should need.

I don't have the spec for your brush limit. I do know that for my '85 700 it is .24" in length. If you find you need brushes this place has them. http://www.newmotorcycleparts.com/ Make sure you have a good ground on the motor too.

Lotsa luck.

Comment

Great, though...

These sound like excellent solutions. Thank you for them --

One more thing? The symptoms were such: Started sounding slower, like the battery was low. Made some grinding noises. Got real low. Didn't work at all.

Do the prognoses still work?

-David C-B

Comment

Do the prognoses still work?
                Yes, the commutator gets carboned up from the brushes. That's why they need cleaning.

Comment

It sounds to me like th ebrushes were just getting too short to reach the commutator and as they made less and less contact (and drew more and more current) the starter turned slower and slower till death do it part. So yes to all of the above. Do it yourself and save a lot of money and learn a lot of stuff. Win win to me.

Cheers,

Roger Moore

Comment

Thanks, Folks.

Comment

Working...
                    X