79 GS1000E Carb trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 GS1000E Carb trouble

Hi folks, I'm in the process of acquiring a 79 GS1000E with about 30000 km on the OD from my father. I bought the bike about 6 years ago, rode it for a couple of years, (Stator/reg/rect replaced), then parked it at the folks place for a couple years. Dad couldn't resist, and bought it from me, fixed it up a fair bit more, but had no end of trouble with the carbs. It turns out that in storing the machine, I turned out a couple "screws" on the bottom of the float bowls that I assumed were drain plugs, drained the fuel, then retightened them. Turns out they were the pilot jets, and I broke them all. (Man did I feel dumb.) Anyway, Dad's mechanic can't find these parts anywhere, and so he "reground them". (No-one seems to know much about old bikes out there, and don't want to work on them either.

Now the bike is running super rich, and eating spark plugs for breakfast. I've been doing some research here, and found some pilot jets from bikebandit that I think should work, (#474665-001)(the carbs are the rectangular cap ones). The only problem is that I now live 3000 miles away, and I can't physically see the carbs or parts, but I'd like to help them fix it, as I'm planning on riding it back to BC from Manitoba this spring.

Can anyone confirm these parts as being correct? (educated guesses are fine too) Dad was also wondering if there are two kinds of pilot jet, fixed and needle.

I really miss that bike, it was just starting to run really well when I parked it too. Dad says it sometimes only runs on three cylinders, and not always the same ones, but I'm hoping that's to do with the carbs as well.

Anyway, great forum here!! I've really learned a lot here, especially when my reg/rect/stator went the first time. (replaced with a newer suzuki reg/rect all in one unit, and wired up all three phases)

Just to clarify, this is a stock machine, with no mods that I know of.

Comment

You have the older slide type carbs (vm) If you screwed up the the fuel screw on the underside of the carb YOU will never get it to run without replacing the fuel needle (screw). Which means you need to buy a set of carb rebuild kits. Another problem is that you could have damaged the needle seat in the carb. Your best bet is To keep a lookout on Ebay for another set of carbs You can change pilot jets all day IT is not going to fix your problem

Comment

Hmmm...ok, If I do need to replace the carbs, is it worthwhile going to CV? And if so, what kind of carbs will mate up without too much tinkering?

Comment

THE CV CARBS will not work unless you change to a later model head & cylinder assembly

Comment

Working...
          X