Burned out/rebuilt my own starter due to hard start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burned out/rebuilt my own starter due to hard start

So my bike has become so difficult to start as of late. It's come on so suddenly that the problem literally began between two starts. No symptoms between at all; before it would start within a few seconds of cranking - now it takes more than 20, and you have to nurse the gas up and down to get it to catch correctly.

Well I cranked the thing so long a few days ago (maybe 30 seconds straight a couple times in a 5 min span) that I burned out the starter.

I pulled it out - one electical connector, two cover bolts and two 10mm starter bolts and it's out. It turns out that I'd fried the two positive terminal brushes so badly that the wires broke off and the heat from the overheated wires burned through the protective anti-grounding sheaths. The brushes still had a lot of material left though, but were unusable sans the wires.

So I went to skycraft electronics in the hope that they'd have the brushes. They didn't have exactly what I needed, but they had brushes with the right profile dimensions to fit in the channels. I used a carbon cutting disc on my circular saw to grind em down a bit so they wouldn't be too long. I soldered their leads to the leads on the starter, put protective sheathing on the wires so they wouldn't ground, and put it all back in. The starter spun like new again - though the bike still takes a while to start for some reason.

Stuff I've checked: spark - blue on all plugs
    It smells pretty heavily of fuel when it's cranking and not firing.
    It won't idle below 2,000, and even that takes a lot of fiddling with the choke (about 1/8 of it will hold it there) to get it to settle right. It idles at 5,000 on full choke. Otherwise runs fine.

eh?

carbs need cleaning!

Comment

AMEN!

Earl :-)

Originally posted by focus frenzy
      carbs need cleaning!
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

That's what I was afraid of, but to parry your suggestion, I'll insert this: The bike ran under all conditions the exact same way before this problem began. The only problem is the sudden change to hard starting. It revs fine, hauls the proverbial ass, and works correctly in all other conditions. Anything other than "needs a carb cleaning" that can cause this? Thanks.

Comment

Maybe your valves need adjusting. That is not logical if it happened all of a sudden though. But if you say you smell fuel and have spark?????

Comment

Happy to see the ignition module is no longer the problem, unfortunately I don't rebuild carbs mail order.
            Seriously, it sounds like a carb cleaning is in order, and this site has a fantastic step by step.

Classic symptoms of flooding you have.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

So which one of the jets controls idle/starting anyway?

Comment

The idle jets, idle passageway and choke passage, piston and choke tube.

Earl

Originally posted by isaac
                So which one of the jets controls idle/starting anyway?
                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
                X