Starter! but got power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter! but got power

I went and had the carbs tuned today, rode about 45 miles. No problem.
    I've never used the bike at night! I had a good electrician wire up the lights to a switch that I can turn off the lights in the day!
    Well, I was riding it tonight (GS1000G) and it went dark, So i flicked the switch on and my instrument lights dimmed out but I just figured it was the new halegon bulb (80/100).
    Well, maybe 5 mins later the GS started backfiring and was getting slower!
    I managed to get home (just) and pulled it into my garage.
    Battery was showing 8.3 volts, headlight went out, oil light, horn and turn signals fuel gauge and starter!
    I charged it up on a slow charge (approx 120miles on new battery) and it was showing 11.4v after about 40 mins.
    Everything seems to be working again but the starter will not start/engage (as if dead)
    I show power at the starter celanoid and if I use a screw driver it will crank. all fuses are ok, and correct amps.
    Anyone come across this before? It happend a few weeks back! but it resolved itself.
    As of a few days ago, it was running good and showing 14.1v (running) also, if I flick the switch (engine on/off) the oil & neutral lights flicker on the switch over which is normal, So I know power is OK at the on/off switch.
    any ideas? 1981 GS1000G
    1981 GS1000G.

Where I live, turning off the lights during the day and running a 80/100 bulb on the street are illegal. Assuming your bike ran OK before this switch mod, I'd restore things back the way they were. Also, the standard headlight bulb is 55/60 watts, so you are now drawing more amps, which would tax your charging system when they're on.

Comment

Starter

I think your right, I will have to put it back the way it was and put the original bulb back in, I went higher on bulb wattage due to the nice people here in Baton Rouge that cant drive, so they can see me coming!
      Saying that though! they still pull out on me when I have my blue lights/sirens on in my police car! "cant win"

Comment

I spent some time in Biloxi, and I know what you mean about the unconscious drivers around there. I don't think a 1,000 watt bulb would get their attention!

Comment

The fact that it dimed the lights as soon as it was turned on means the battery was already going dead You need to go back and check the charging circuit

Comment

If it's charging 14.1v, the charging system should be ok. I've been using 80/100's for years, with no problems. My guess would be in the wiring of the new switch. Just my opinion !!!!!

Comment

Re: Starter! but got power

Your starter solenoid has taken a dump. :-) Go to Lowes and buy a solenoid for a garden tractor. (I have one on my 1100 because of the exact same situation) It will cost you about $10. The tractor solenoid will fit the mounts on your bike and fit in the space perfectly. However, that does not address the problem of your battery being depleted. I suspect your R/R is not outputting sufficiently to maintain the battery with the load of the more powerful headlight.

Earl

Originally posted by feelergaugephil
              I went and had the carbs tuned today, rode about 45 miles. No problem.
              I've never used the bike at night! I had a good electrician wire up the lights to a switch that I can turn off the lights in the day!
              Well, I was riding it tonight (GS1000G) and it went dark, So i flicked the switch on and my instrument lights dimmed out but I just figured it was the new halegon bulb (80/100).
              Well, maybe 5 mins later the GS started backfiring and was getting slower!
              I managed to get home (just) and pulled it into my garage.
              Battery was showing 8.3 volts, headlight went out, oil light, horn and turn signals fuel gauge and starter!
              I charged it up on a slow charge (approx 120miles on new battery) and it was showing 11.4v after about 40 mins.
              Everything seems to be working again but the starter will not start/engage (as if dead)
              I show power at the starter celanoid and if I use a screw driver it will crank. all fuses are ok, and correct amps.
              Anyone come across this before? It happend a few weeks back! but it resolved itself.
              As of a few days ago, it was running good and showing 14.1v (running) also, if I flick the switch (engine on/off) the oil & neutral lights flicker on the switch over which is normal, So I know power is OK at the on/off switch.
              any ideas? 1981 GS1000G
              1981 GS1000G.
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks guys, will go to Lowes tomorrow and see if that clears up my situation.

Comment

Re: Starter

Well then, maybe you need a rack full of xenon H4 bulbs in your flashing blues. :-) On 2nd thought, I'll just pick up an extra pair of 12,000,000 watt marine searchlights, we'll put a blue lens on them and when you hit the switch in the patrol car and spin those babies, I guarantee you they will see you coming in Denver. LOL :-)

Earl

I think your right, I will have to put it back the way it was and put the original bulb back in, I went higher on bulb wattage due to the nice people here in Baton Rouge that cant drive, so they can see me coming!
                  Saying that though! they still pull out on me when I have my blue lights/sirens on in my police car! "cant win"

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Re: Thanks

Before you buy the new solenoid, please tell me you did take continuity light or meter and checked to see that the energizing wire on the solenoid is hot when you press the starter button. (that small ..usually orange/white wire on top of your solenoid) :-) If the wire does not have voltage when the starter button is held down, the solenoid will not activate and the problem is probably with the starter button.

Earl

Thanks guys, will go to Lowes tomorrow and see if that clears up my situation.

Comment

Test

I didn't check that, but I just charged the battery up and used a screw driver on the celanoid. It cranked right up.
                      Multimeter attached to the battery showed a continued drop, 11.93, 11.84, 10,86 etc etc, I touched the green/white wire that appears to run up from the alternator and it was extremely HOT, so I turned the bike off.
                      Green/white wire runs up from alternator area and up behind left airbox area, I never had a problem until I turned the lights on, it has always cranked up, had the tank off yesterday to have the carbs balanced!
                      Any clues?

Comment

I'm Guessing Check the third leg of the stator it runs up thru the light switch. They could have screwed it up adding the extra switch, could be your green/white wire

Comment

Working...
                        X