Puking Gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Puking Gas

I recently bought a 1980 GS850L. When I bought the bike, it was puking gas out of the two overflow lines coming out of the carbs. The owner told me I would need to clean the floats since the bike had not been run in over two years. I have cleaned the floats and run many detergents through the engine, yet it continues to puke gas and often times only runs at about 1/4 power (the power will momentarily come back if you hold the throttle down for a few seconds, bit will return to low power when you shift.) Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Clean the floats? Thats a new one! 8O What you need is an entire carb cleaning and then get them floats aligned. Does it "puke" gas only when running? If gas flows while it is shut off then your petcock is in dire need of rebuild.

Comment

You need to either replace or clean the carbs "float needle" and "seats". Pick up a shop manual for your bike, it should show you what I'm refering to and explain their function.
      Axel

Comment

Both suggestions are good. A shop manual may be a bit hard to find, but you can go to "In The Garage" section on this site....it will give you a pictorial guide to carb repairs.

Don't know what you meant by running detergents through the engine, but it does not sound good.

In any event, if gas was running out the overflow tubes it was also running into the engine, and that can be very bad for the engine.

Drain your oil and replace it with fresh oil before starting it again.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Yeah, and don't forget to check all the hundred's of thousands of posts (using the search tool) on the issues of carbs, petcocks, vacuum port, #2 and #3 carbs, etc, etc. There's a wealth o'knowledge in here (but then of course some of us like to repeat ourselves

Roger Moore

Comment

:? I don't know why some people on this site are so upset when someone "probaly new to this site" asks a question that others have asked before. This site would probably stop getting questions if everyones first thought was to just look at past Q & A. Why don't we just answer questions, refer people to past answers, and be glad you have something to talk about. Not every person who visiits this site has graduated from getting the petcock and carbs to work. In fact thats probably the reason most people check it out in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisdnoel
              :? I don't know why some people on this site are so upset when someone "probaly new to this site" asks a question that others have asked before. This site would probably stop getting questions if everyones first thought was to just look at past Q & A. Why don't we just answer questions, refer people to past answers, and be glad you have something to talk about. Not every person who visiits this site has graduated from getting the petcock and carbs to work. In fact thats probably the reason most people check it out in the first place.
              The man is not upset and some would and others would not want to repest answers--I myself dont mind but if some do mind thats still ok-no one is forced to do anything thats for sure. An dont get me wrong i fully agree with the thing you said it just that Roger is not that sort of a guy he is always one of the first to help

Comment

An dont get me wrong i fully agree with the thing you said it just that Roger is not that sort of a guy he is always one of the first to help
                Thanks for the support there friend. If any of you have read my posts -- I'm usually long winded in answers. I was just following Frank's lead in reminding this fellow of the wealth of knowledge available ALREADY on this site. I can assure you I wasn't upset in the slightest, nor am I still. I can't hold anything against anyone for misinterpreting my mindset -- this is e-mail (of sorts) afterall.

I consider myself an educator more so than anything else -- that's my day job -- and this was just a piece of education I was passing along. Any newbie to the site should be aware of this resource as well as the most simple of them -- asking the question and waiting for the answer. I have to admit to you all that the first 20 questions I asked, which was on this very same subject, was all done in ignorance to the search feature. If I had known about the power of that search feature I could have gotten my answers in half the time. But then I wouldn't have had the enjoyment of the (albeit cyber) human contact .

It's all good

Roger

Comment

Roger has a very good point (wear a hat ). He is correct in advising using the search feature and I thought it was really friendly of him to suggest doing so. There is more stuff posted on the subjects of carbs than there are Smiths in the Los Angeles phone book (really!). I didn't think is was being unfriendly at all.

Comment

There is more stuff posted on the subjects of carbs than there are Smiths in the Los Angeles phone book (really!).
                    Or Moore's for that matter...

Roger Moore

Comment

ChrisD: Roger was quite correct in giving that advice. Realistically, how else would someone new to the Forum learn of the "search" resource?
                      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
                      X