Mounting a GSX600F engine to the frame of my GS550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mounting a GSX600F engine to the frame of my GS550

I want to mount a GSX 600F Engine on a GS550 frame i have.. I think its an 86 frame. I am not certain. I wanted to know if this were possible. If the mounts line up. If anyone has ever done this? what is required?

Because I have the engine. and I have the frame.. But i dont have a 600F Frame and I dont have a 550E Engine.

So does anyone know if its possible?

Thanks

Colin.

I'm assuming it's an oil cooled GSX 600. Anything is possible you will have to make your own mounts I think it would be a great project

Comment

yeah it is an oil cooled one. making my own mounts.. will I be able to use the same swing arm and rear wheel?

I originally got this engine thinking it would work..

Comment

You will probably have to space out the rear sprocket.
        There is a guy on www.oldskoolsuzuki.info that has put a GSX750R (same lower dimensions) engine in his 550 but it was an older model so any info about motor mount measurements would not be correct I think since the 78/86 550 engines are different.

Comment

It sounds like an interesting project. I would think the biggest concern would be making sure the drive & driven sprockets lie in the same plane, which means positioning (and mounting) the engine accordingly.

Comment

Where is the bike on that site you showed me?

Cant find it..

Im actually trying to build the bike up now

Comment

Originally posted by coconutcolin
              Where is the bike on that site you showed me?

Cant find it..

Im actually trying to build the bike up now
              This one? http://oldskoolsuzuki.info/cgi-bin/Y...67561&start=14

Comment

I got 60% of the bike together.. this includes the swing arm shocks, rear wheel axle with the sproket and the rotors, and the calliper. I have the engine in.. It was a BITCHHH to do all by myslef all my friends were still sleeping and stuff.

The bottom mount close to the swing arm went in.. then i made mounts out of steel and spacers for the rear top mount..

Then one of the mounts was made for the middle.

I still have 3 more mounts to make.. the engine is all the way to the right side of the bike (the side with the brakes) the engine sproket is out futher than teh sproket on the wheel.. How would I achieve the sproket in lining up? I can only space it so far before it rubs agaist the swing arm.

Help...

Thanks ... Colin.

Comment

TTT
                  HELP

Comment

Working...
                  X