what did I do? The accelerator turns the wrong way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what did I do? The accelerator turns the wrong way

The bike is a 1977 GS750. The accellerator turns forward instead of back. I tried to change the cables but it didn't seem to have the desires result.

Any guidance?

This is one that has me feeling very stupid.

Robin

Actually, I have done that myself.

In my case the throttle cable was guided the wrong way inside the throttle handle.

Comment

Robin, You'll need to split the switch gear again, move the throttle back by about 40 degrees (you will see what I mean when you look in at it) and ensure that the cable is round the right way. I bet that you will not make this mistake again (right Karl?? )

Comment

Leave the key in and let someone try to steal it. Oh, be sure to video tape it.

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny
          Sounds funny but I had an old CR250. I was messing around one day and tipped over. (Whenever I rode with the kids when they were little, they would come home and tell mom of all their wipeouts. Immediately I explained to them wipeouts were to be called "tip overs" to help prevent moms motorcycle paranoia from getting out of managable limits.) So I picked the bike up and kicked it quick and half heartedly. It sort of sneezed a little but came to life and was running as I reved it up and dumped the clutch in first gear. Well don't you know that 2 stroke engine was running backwards, and I tipped over again!

Comment

Originally posted by Wingnut
            Originally posted by Swanny
            Sounds funny but I had an old CR250. I was messing around one day and tipped over. (Whenever I rode with the kids when they were little, they would come home and tell mom of all their wipeouts. Immediately I explained to them wipeouts were to be called "tip overs" to help prevent moms motorcycle paranoia from getting out of managable limits.) So I picked the bike up and kicked it quick and half heartedly. It sort of sneezed a little but came to life and was running as I reved it up and dumped the clutch in first gear. Well don't you know that 2 stroke engine was running backwards, and I tipped over again!

When I was a little younger and had less common sense we used to bump start 2 strokes by wheeling them down the hill backwards thus making them run backwards!!!!!! Needless to say I also did a fair bit of falling off bikes when I was younger :? :roll: :?

Comment

When I was a little younger and had less common sense we used to bump start 2 strokes by wheeling them down the hill backwards thus making them run backwards!!!!!!
              The latest snowmobiles use a method of reversing the rotation of the engine as a reverse. I guess it's a lot cheaper than a gearbox. On the Polaris sleds they call it PERC- Polaris Engine Reverse Control. Pretty cool, just push a button and the engine just barely stalls out, but it doesn't and when it comes back to idle you are in reverse!
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
              X