Question for the Carb Experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for the Carb Experts

My bike (82 GK) is running well, though it sometimes is slow to come down to idle. To be more specific, when I come to a stop sign, it will run at about 2.1k RPM (sometimes). I can let the clutch bite a bit with the brakes on to slow the engine down, and it will stay at proper idle then. I have it set at about 1.1k RPM. Looking back on earlier posts it sounds like this is a symptom of leanness.

It started this after I replaced the o-rings on the intake boots and had to re-sync. I am wondering if some of the issue here might have to do with how I synced the carbs. They say that the level of vacuum when you're syncing isn't important, just that the cylinders have certain relative levels. Is this entirely true? Or if I synced by bringing the vacuum level up on the carbs that were low (rather than down on the ones that were high) could I have leaned the mixture? Or could the way the carbs are synced adversely affected the way the bike idles?

This is the first time in a while I've really had the bike sealed right since I put new slip-on JC Whitney mufflers on it. I may just need to enrich the mixture a bit. Any thoughts?

carb expert

richer pilot jets will solve.....

Comment

richer pilot jets will solve.....
      As long as you have no intake leaks I would agree. Try some larger pilots.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Same problem

This past weekend (even though it was cold and rainy) I pulled my 81 GS550 out of storage. Started OK, but the idle was low and would putter out. I reached under the carbs and adjusted the idle and ran fine.

I rode it around the neighborhood and the idle was slow to come back down. Just as described here, around 2000 rpm.

Last year the carbs were re-built and re-synced and it ran fine all summer. I stored the bike over winter with a full tank of gas and stabilizer.

I am running on the same tank of gas (with the stabilizer). Would that have anything to do with the idle not coming down? Should the tank be emptied after storage?

What can I try, beside getting into the mechanics of it first?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
        X