Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting a parked bike. Without a starter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting a parked bike. Without a starter.

My thoughts are these: a little battery chargin, a little carb cleaner sprayed in the air cleaner, a warm day, a good push.

Any adivce?

It's been parked about a month with one unsuccessful attempt 5 days ago.

Thanks!

Hmmmmmmmm....might work, but GSs seem to be cold blooded. You might be doing alot of pushing.

Comment

They can be tough to get started that way. First using the drains on the bottom of the carbs drain the float bowls. If it's been sitting that long the fuel in the tank may not be so great either. You can give it a try with the old fuel though. Then put the petcock on prime for 20-30 seconds. Don't forget to return it to the normal run position. Carb cleaner doesn't detonate real well, starting fluid would be a better choice. Remove the air filter and spray the fluid as close to the carb inlets as you can get it. Give it about 3/4 choke, push like hell, preferably with help, hop on and pop it into second or third gear and hope it starts. First gear tends to just bring it to a stop before it gets a chance to fire.

Comment

This bike has NO starter, or the battery is dead? Kick Starter? I'd go with the starting fluid. This is what I used to get my 7 year dead bike to go again (post carb rebuild and gas replace and such). 1 month old gas shouldn't be that bad. How did it run 1 month ago? How did you start it back then? Got any steep hills nearby? Crazy friends that have bashed their head into the pavement enough times to tow you or to be towed?

8O

Roger Moore

Comment

If push started and it fires and you're not on the bike....well I can tell you that my 1100 will run about 80mph in 2nd gear and it's hard as hell to catch on foot.

Comment

I've push started my gs 1000 many a times,, but I also have a fairly steep driveway,, but I have pushed it myself on level ground and started it one day when I was stupid and turned the parking light on instead of the stearing lock. and drained the battery totally. I rolled it in nuteral and pulled the cluch and shifted into second and popped the cluch out and it actually started right off.. My bike seems to rool ALOT easier in nuteral tha it does in gear because of the cluch drag I suppose. But try all the above things,, I've even been so daring as to pull the spark plugs and spray a little in the spark plug hole to help motor out. Not the best way,, but it is effective for oily conditions.

Good luck
            Matt

Comment

Working...
            X