Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Runs great, then suddenly dies, and has no spark

Bike: 1980 Gs550L

I'm trying to get my newly aquired bike running. I finally got it started the other day, rode it around the block.. etc... smooth and clean running. All of a sudden it will die, and not start back up again. (no sputtering, just die). I hit the starter button and the starter will turn the engine over no problem, but there will not be any spark. Engine is getting fuel, plug condition is fine.

but here is the kicker, if i wait a undetermined amount of time, it may start back up. But this is NOT related to whether or not the engine is hot/cold. And it could be a period of a few minutes, or as long as overnight.

What's not wrong:

Carbs are clean and spotless. Fuel is getting to the engine, battery is just fine. Coils are getting power. (ran a 12v lead to the orange/white coil power wire)

any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help

ignitor has short in it, or a short/bad connections in harness to pick up coils.
    odds are it is a failur in the ignitor box (controls triggering of coils) although they normaly just quit.

the ignitor box triggers the coils from the ground side so you will still have power to the coils.
    check the connections at the ignitor box for loose or corroded terminals before you replace it.

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
      ignitor has short in it, or a short/bad connections in harness to pick up coils.
      odds are it is a failur in the ignitor box (controls triggering of coils) although they normaly just quit.

the ignitor box triggers the coils from the ground side so you will still have power to the coils.
      check the connections at the ignitor box for loose or corroded terminals before you replace it.
      You beat me to it.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
        odds are it is a failure in the ignitor box (controls triggering of coils) .
        Bingo!

Thank you very much, had a spare one lying around and yesterday i replaced it. Bike runs great now. Thank's guys!

Comment

your welcome!

Comment

nice

im having the same problem-- where can i pick up one of these ignitors...
            (81 gs550L). besides ebay.

Comment

Re: nice

Originally posted by uudfourty
              motorcycle retirement home (wrecking yerd)
              or change over to this, http://www.dynaonline.com/english/index.htm the dyna S replacement igntion system PN# DS3-2
              the ignitor is still available but is quite expensive for a little box of bits at $373.14

Comment

Re: nice

Originally posted by uudfourty
                ebay is your friend....

Comment

Working...
                X