Engine Timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Timing

For someone with over 2.5 thousand posts on this board, lots in response to technical questions, this will sound really stupid.

How do I set the timing?

I am absoulutely at a loss when it comes to electrical issues. I really want to make sure my bike is running perfect, so I did a valve adjustment last week, rebuilt the carbs, etc., and now I need to do a carb synch, but I want to make sure I have the timing perfect. If I haven't changed anything on the engine, would the timing still be correct? Or does it sometimes need to be checked? If someone could explain how engine timing works and how to check it, I'd be greatly appreciative.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

on 80 and up GS's the timing is fixed and there is not any provision for adjusting it other than a slight bit of play in the screw holes that might, depending on year and production variables, allow you to get about a degree or two.
    on 80 to 81 or 82 for non GK's the mechanical advancer still had the timing marks for setting timing as they are the same as pre-80 engine with points.
    on 82 1100GK's (and possibly a couple other models, and 83 up all models, the ignition advance is electronicly controled and there are no marks.

why didn't you use the "ask Earl" button?

Comment

why didn't you use the "ask Earl" button?
      Oh man, would I love one of those. Except I'd need an "ask Focus" button for anything regarding pod filters and carburation. Our man Earl doesn't like pod filters...
      Currently bikeless
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

So I guess there is no adjustment possible? I don't have to buy a timing light? Thats a good thing.
        Currently bikeless

Comment

thats not entirely true you can slot the mounting holes to make small changes. Generally the timing almost never needs to be reset unless you have points or someone has been messing with the ign

Comment

I'd pull the timing cover off and take alook down there and see what you have. Should see a timing plate with 3 screws to adjust it if needed. Oh yeah you'll need a timing too.
            1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
            1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
            1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
            1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
            01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Working...
            X