Chain Modification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain Modification

I was discussing a major change in chain size on my 1100ED with Hap Call.
    We talked about some of the newer super bikes going to 520 chains. we are still researching this possibility. I am not interested in how much mileage i get from the setup. i intend to use a high quality non O ring chain no mater what changes I make to the sprockets and chain. Does any one have any indormation on which bikes in the higher cc sizes might be using 520 setups. I realize it is pushing the envelope but i want to find out as much as I can before i settle for a 530 setup

RK recommends no larger than 800cc for a 520. Why the 520 instead of a 530, is it a weight issue? The 530 should be plenty strong and is certainly lighter and cheaper than the stock 630.
    Axel

Comment

Racers are using 520 chain with their superbikes so strength shouldn't be that much of an issue. These bikes probably have two to three times more power than our GS's. But then again they plan on using many of their parts up after a race or two. Find a website like RK or Tsubaki and check out the tensile stregth of their chains in different sizes. GSX-R countershaft sprockets will fit, the rear sprocket will be tougher to cross reference without going to a GSX-R wheel.

Comment

Aw 'cmon, don't ya want to stick with a 630? As I stated in the "For Sale" section, I have a beautiful 630 chain that would fit your bike!
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I am just reading an article on a turbo GSX1400 - 270 rear wheel horses. They used a DID 50ZVM chain as they thought the others stretched. For those who worry about old 80s superbikes stretching chains this may be of comfort!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
            Racers are using 520 chain with their superbikes so strength shouldn't be that much of an issue. These bikes probably have two to three times more power than our GS's. But then again they plan on using many of their parts up after a race or two. Find a website like RK or Tsubaki and check out the tensile stregth of their chains in different sizes. GSX-R countershaft sprockets will fit, the rear sprocket will be tougher to cross reference without going to a GSX-R wheel.
            Thanks billy
            I ride like an old goat till i can find a street drag which i only seem to get a couple of times a year these days so i am not worried about abusing the chain with my mildly modified 1100e--Do you know of any figures on the possible HP gain. I do these things strictly for the fun of it any way--the bike is my hobby and i finaly ride something that gets lots of attention at the harley shop--The last item is that just keeping up with some of this out of the factory stuff is almost impossible thers days

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
              Aw 'cmon, don't ya want to stick with a 630? As I stated in the "For Sale" section, I have a beautiful 630 chain that would fit your bike!
              My present 630 O ring chain has about 30K miles on it and is just about half worn so i really dont need a new chain--i just want to do a mod that is close to the edge--it should be a cheap way of picking up a few HP

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                BILLY
                I went to the tsubaki website and the tech information was very encouraging. comparin a 520 to a 530 chain was even more interesting so I posted the chart on one of my web pages and hope that you and others will do some thinking for and with me

Comment

Working...
                X