bike does not go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bike does not go

I have a gs850 1980 the other day I hoped on the bike put it in gear let out the clutch and bike no go I put in new clutch still no go so I put it on the stand and heres what i got using my hand i can move the shifter throu all the gears and i can feel them turning rear wheel free spinns with the bike in gear out of gear on or off i can feel the drive shaft moving within the rubber boot at the back of the tranny if some one could help me i would be so greatful thanks

Sounds like a clutch adjustment problem to me. Look where the clutch cable attaches to the transmission case, if you have no adjustment at the hndlebar then you may have to adjust it at the case.

It just sounds as though your clutch is not disengaging to me.

Scud

Comment

Actually, this sounds more like the drive splines in the rear wheel stripped.

This happens to every shaftie GS eventually.

Remove the rear wheel and take a look. Most of the time, the splines in the rear drive unit (the gearbox attached to the swingarm) are just fine -- the easy-to-replace and not-too-expensive spline unit in the wheel is meant to fail first.

It's part #14 in this GS850 fiche. Sorry about the cruddy scan:

The part # is: 64680-45113
      And it's called: JOINT ASSY RR

Only $81.24 for a new one at Crotchrocket.com
      CrotchRocket.com is available for purchase. Get in touch to discuss the possibilities!

STF for "splines" and you'll find more info.

Make sure you grease the new ones with a good moly-based spline lube.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

if it is the drive splines in the rear wheel it will be the first time I have heard about a pre-82 shaftie doing it.
        pre-82 bikes used a much stronger drive adapter, 82 up it is common for them to strip them, the fix is to use "joint assy rr" from a earlyer bike.
        if the splines are stripped you can put the bike in gear and turn the rear wheel and you will feel and hear a "thunk thunk thunk" sound/feel as the rear wheel is turned.
        the sound will come from the rear wheel.

Comment

once again

is there any tips or tricks to doing a clutch i have traced the problem back to the clutch i have soked the clutch and put it back in and it still is not working when i remove the drive plates and just stack up the friction disks im getting 7/8 of an inch the clutch im putting in a a cheep one made by parts unlimited could this be my prob ?

Comment

I have a parts unlimited clutch in my bike and it works good, they are nearly identical to stock plates but WAY cheeper.

grab hold of the clutch basket and try to turn it by hand, it should not turn as it it rivited to the driven gear (flywheel) and the driven gear meshes with the crank.

with the bike in gear and the fiber plates and steels removed try turning the clutch hub by hand, it should not turn with the bike in gear and the rear tire on the ground.

Comment

Working...
            X