2nd gear is weird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd gear is weird

whenever im just shifting into second it goes and then buck about half way from 15-30, bucks as if it were an automatic shifting into the next gear? and also sometimes when sifting down from second , it goes into neutral and it takes a very hard kick to put it into first

First check your chain adjustment. If it's too tight it will be hard to shift and make loud clunking noises.
    Axel

Comment

its only hard to shift down from 2 to 1, all other shifting is fine

Comment

what bike is it? ( it helps to tell us what year, make and model the bike is, you can put it in you signiture line just like me and many other forum regulars)
        sounds like a yamaha, some of them are nortorious for second gear problems.

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
          sounds like a yamaha, some of them are nortorious for second gear problems.
          Weren't/aren't GSXRs known for the same problem
          Kevin
          E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
          "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
          Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

1985 gs 550es

Comment

If it's not a too tight chain, then I would say you need a transmission repair. Sounds like the engagement dogs are worn on second gear which is causing the bucking as you accelerate. And the first gear shifting problems may be a bent shifting fork. Either one means the engine has to come out and be completely disassembled. Sorry to tell you but it will be expensive, probably cheaper to buy a good used engine.
              Axel

Comment

MINE ACTS LIKE THAT WHEN THE CLUTCH NEED ADJUSTING OR I DONT WIND IT UP ENOUGH BEFORE I CHANGE GEARS

Comment

Working...
                X