Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leaky Oil Drain Plug GS1100EX - 7 ft/lbs???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaky Oil Drain Plug GS1100EX - 7 ft/lbs???

Changed my oil last night. New copper washer/gasket on drain plug, and I ensured that plug/washer/oil pan were squeaky clean and undamaged before installation. My service manual says 7 ft/lbs for the drain plug. I torqued it up with my 25/250 inch/lb clicker (hardly more than fingertight), and woke to find a dollar size puddle under the bike. Yes, it definitely came from the crankcase: It's not rogue drippings from the draining. 7 ft/lbs doesn't seem enough, but I don't want to strip this thing. Your advice? Thanks.

My advice is to stick with the spec tourqe. This is coming from someone who recently had to heli-coil the drain bolt a month ago. Makes for a lengthy oil change job!
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Two or three turns of teflon tape around the thread of the bolt might help.
      Worked for my GS550.
      I wouldn't try to overtorque it; the puddle might become a lot bigger. 8O

Comment

Thanks. Now that the weekend has arrived I'm going to hit the dealer and an automotive supply place. Maybe there's a softer gasket available that would seal better. Barring that, I have teflon tape (hey, it should protect as well as Slick 50).

Comment

Since you mentioned everything was squeaky clean, including the bolt and pan, you may not have had enough torque to do the job. When the metals are all dry the torque reading goes up faster than when wet, as friction is higher when dry. It may not be a large difference, but with a very low number as your maximum, this factor may spell the difference between a seal and a drip.

Now that you have had oil seep along the threads, they are definitely wet, so you can try re-torquing the plug. Use the tape if it doesn't work.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Thanks for your advice on stemming the leak from my oil drain plug. Re-torquing didn't move the plug. More on that fix later. Now, how to replace a crush gasket on the oil drain plug without losing the brand new oil? Solution: I had my wife hold the vacuum cleaner on the oil fill port while I undid the oil drain plug and replaced the gasket. Much gurgling, but not a drop of oil lost. I can't take full credit for this idea: I read about it some time ago in relation to cars (I do get some points for remembering?). Anyway, this time I used a dead-soft aluminum gasket. And, I told the dealership that Suzuki was recommending 7 ft/lbs on the oil drain plug. They said they do their's at 12 ft/lbs without a problem. I split the difference and went 10 ft/lbs. No leak so far.

Comment

Is this were I have to say the vacuum idea sucks? :roll: :roll:

Hadn't thought of that one. Thanks for the tip.
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

The 6mm oil pan bolts get torqued to 7lb-ft, not the drain bolt. I looked all thru the factory shop manual for the 1100 and can't find any specs on the drain bolt. Checked my GSXR 750 manual, same size plug, says 14.5-18lb-ft.
                Axel

Comment

Originally posted by axel
                  The 6mm oil pan bolts get torqued to 7lb-ft, not the drain bolt. I looked all thru the factory shop manual for the 1100 and can't find any specs on the drain bolt. Checked my GSXR 750 manual, same size plug, says 14.5-18lb-ft.
                  Axel
                  I agree it doesn't sound right, but my Clymer manual says "install the drain plug and torque to 7 ft/lbs". The only other fasteners that are involved in the oil/filter change operation are the nuts fastening the oil filter cover "4.5 to 6.0 ft/lbs". Go figure!

Comment

Clymer must have been looking at the Suzuki factory manual when they wrote theirs and in the torque specs where it says oil "pan" bolt they must have thought that meant oil "drain" bolt. The spec they have for the oil filter cover is correct at 4.5-6.0.
                    Axel

Comment

I've got the Suzuki manual, too. I don't know why I didn't think to check it, but will do so tonight (still early on the westcoast).

Comment

I think you hit the nail on the head. As you said, the Suzuki manual doesn't show a spec for torquing the oil drain bolt, but DOES show the "6mm oil pan bolts" at 7 ft/lbs. I think Clymer must have goofed on this one. I went back and checked the Clymer to ensure I had the nomenclature correct, and the "oil drain plug" is definitely shown in a drawing (complete with arrow). At the very least, I'd better double check such things for accuracy with the Suzuki manual from now on. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                        X