gs 1000 fork tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs 1000 fork tubes

Hey friends, sorry I've been gone for such a long time, I've been busy out in the garage rebuilding my 79 Gs1000e. But now that I'm back and I have a question. I'm in the process of trying to replace the slightly twisted front end on my bike and I was wondering how different the forks are on a gs 1000 L model other than the axle mounted on the side of the tube. Is distance between the clamps and the axle mount different? I assume the brake calipers are different. can I use my fender, front wheel, brake discs?

Has anybody done this? (I know somebody must have)

I really apreciate any input everyone has.

NOT the thing to do as it would change the fork angle and the handling characteristics of your bike

Comment

I wouldn't recommend this switch for two reasons:
      1. As previously stated, it would change the handling and steering of your bike. You may like it, or you may not; why take a chance?
      2. Wheel and brake caliper, discs, etc., will fit just fine. It's the fender that won't. Remember that the position of the wheel in relation to the forks will change as a result of the forward position of the axle. The fender will not fit.

I have a set of forks off a standard GS850GN (1979) for sale. Let me know if you're interested. E-mail me at marinick@erols.com

Nick

Comment

The reason I was thinking about changing the front end is that the L version is availble and mine is majorly messed up,, I replaced the fork tubes and the tripple trees at different time and the front is still very stiff,, since an accident it was in 5 years ago,, makes the bike tiring to ride. I'll e-mail you soon about the forks,, as I'm not at home right now

Matt

Comment

Working...
        X