Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I clean off the oxidation on my 1980 GS1100E engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I clean off the oxidation on my 1980 GS1100E engine?

I have a goal: to make my 1980 GS1100 look like it did the day it came out of the showroom. The problem? The oxidation on the engine. I have no idea how to make that look new again.

1. Is it possible to make new again?

2. If so, how?

Please help!!! Thanks

Rudi
    San Antonio, TX
    1980 GS1100E with 89.500 miles

are you talking case covers and stuff??? if so look in apperancemod ection look for making it brighter posted by JB

Comment

get yeself a can of mineral spirits, THIS STUFF WORKS.

Comment

I was lazy, I took my covers off and took them to a polisher. Saved me from farting around. One way I can think of is removing them, poping out any seals, and coating them with paint stripper until all the clear is gone. Then polish with Autosol or some such metal polish. This is how I did the GS1000 wheels I put on my bike. I'm sure Jay's way will give you better results though. 8)
        Kevin
        E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
        "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
        Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

I've gone through some serious research on my bike for the same thing.

1st - I degreased the engine useing a couple of brushes and engine degreaser. A dremel can help get into the tight spaces.

This is what caused the oxidation on my covers. I found out the hard way that degreaser, although a great cleaner, does not play well with aluminum.

2nd - After many suggestions from the great guys here in GS land, I ended up using 600 grit sandpaper. This removed even the deepest set stains. I'll next go to 1500 grit then maybe 2500 grit. Finally, finish with a couple of polishing compounds. You'll find quite a few good suggestions about polishing if you use the search function at the top of the page. Most of them, like mine, require a LOT of elbow grease!

Comment

Working...
          X