Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fat(x) shims

Hi all,

just doing my valve clearance here... I can re-use 6 of the shims I have now, but am wondering about the shims with the "x" stamped after the number. I think that means that its a little bit fatter, but am not too sure.

if it is, how much fatter is it?

The gap is slightly larger than .09mm on one with a 2.55shim on, and I was going to put a 2.55x , rather than a 2.6 (which would make clearance .045 mm).

Another valve, the clearance is slightly more than .038, with a 2.55 on there, and I wanted to put a 2.50x to keep it within the .03-.08

any tips/advice would be great...thanks

poot

The X usually means .02mm extra.

So a 2.55x would measure about 2.57mm.

They can be very handy when you want to set the clearances juuuuust right, not "almost too tight" or "almost too loose".
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

awesome!!! just what I was looking for. thanks.

poot

Comment

I'd just put a 2.60 on the one valve to make the clearance 0.045. That's well within the tolerance, as is the one that is slightly more than 0.038.

I just finished checking my clearances, and I lucked out in that a simple swap of two of my intake shims will bring both valves into tolerance, and I have to buy one shim for a third valve. All the rest fall within the 0.03 - 0.08 tolerance limits

Comment

Always check your shims with a micrometer before buying replacements, and mic the new ones in the shop too if you can. The stamped sizes aren't always correct.

Comment

I'll repeat what Guy said -- measure your shims!

The sizes marked on them are sometimes a little off. In many cases, you can't read the size on a used shim anyway (no, it was not installed upside-down, and no, it was not worn).

The aftermarket shims I get from Cycle Recycle II are consistently .02mm fatter than the marked size, although I still bring calipers and measure them in case they get a new batch or something.

It's no problem as long as I know this going in, but it took me a while to figure out the first time through. The OEM shims are usually dead on, but they cost at least $10 plus waiting for a special order, whereas CRC2 has them in stock for $5. I'll often buy an extra shim or two in nearby sizes just in case I need them later or the installed clearance is different than anticipated.

Does anyone else find it tragic that Suzuki dealers do not stock shims? I called all over Indiana one day a while back, before I discovered CRC2 in Indy. The same shims are even used on the current GS500 model, so I don't understand how they can call themselves a Suzuki shop without a stock of basic supplies.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I called my local dealer, and am going in to see if I can trade in my shims. Cant measure, since i dont have a micrometer, but I'll get them to do that for me

Comment

I ran into the same problem, only 1 dealer stocked the shims (actually more like never used them from the 80's). They had 1 but I needed 2. In looking for another part, I asked my other local dealer about the shim. He said no, but could order it. I declined saying I could order it from a more local dealer but would buy it now if he had it. A few minutes later he came out with a shim. He told me he got it from the service department, not parts. They are a larger dealer with a separate parts and service department. Apparently they don't talk much to each other. But if this helps, try asking if the service department has any for their repairs. You may get lucky like I did.

Comment

My local bike shop "Winners Cycles" refuses flat out to exchange shims, I bought about 6 from him when I was rebuilding my GS and I had 2 that were way too big, even though they were still in the original suzuki packets he said that he has to pay a surcharge to return them to suzuki, so he would not take them back or swap them out for the correct size.
                  So, Bikebandit got my $$$$

Comment

Working...
                  X