Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10 amp "signal fuse... AAUUUGGHHH!

Hi all,

Here's the update and further frustration. I really hope someone in here can help.

The instrument panel lights on my GS1100GL went out while driving. I took of the fuse panel cover and sure enough the 10 amp "signal" fuse was blown. The bike sat for a week, till I was able to get to it..

So I go out and replace the fuse and turn over the engine. Everything runs fine for about 5 minutes and I start scratching my head. Then I turn on the turn signal and the fuse blew... Now, whenever I even touch it with a new 10 amp fuse it blows (same thing with a 15 amp.)

Suggestions on a fix?

Thanks,

Spud

You may have a very simple problem....I had it two weeks ago. The horn blew while I was driving. It was just one blow, but I wasn't touching the button. Sometime later it did it again, and then it blew steadily....then quit.

Turned out one of the horn mount bolts had loosened a tiny bit ...just barely enough to allow the horn to turn a few degrees, but that was enough to allow one contact to rub against the frame intermittently. I turned it back, tightened the bolt and all is OK, but each horn has two leads, and if the other wire does that, it will short and blow fuses.

It's a very easy diagnosis and fix.

Disconnect both horns, tape the connectors, then plug in your fuse and start the engine. If all is OK, then reattach the wires and reposition the horns.
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

About that blown fuse problem.

Thanks... I checked the horn and everything seemed fine. I then checked all the bulb filiments and wiring (everything fine).

Sooooooooo,I jiggled the wires and remounted the battery acbles and now it seems fine!!!!! No blown uses!

Okay, I should be happy, but somewhere in the back of my mind, I feel that the problem is still there. I know that once I snap everything togeter again the fuse wil blow, right?

Can such a problem be corrected simply by jiggling wires?

I'm not snapping everything back together till I hear from you guys.

Thanks again,

Spud

Comment

I HAD REMOVED MY HORNS AND ONE OF THE HOT WIRES WAS PARTIALLY EXPOSED FROM A FIRE I HAD A WHILE BACK. i TOWAS BLOWING FUSES AND PUZZLED. WHEN I SOMEONE ELSE NOTICED MY SLOPPY WORK, i TIED OFF THE WIRE AND ITS OK NOW--DEFINITELY SOMETHING SHORTED. SURE YOU CAN SOLVE THE PROBLEM BY JIGLING WIRES BUT ONE THING IS FOR SURE IT CAN BECOME UN JIGGLED--YOU SEEM TO HAVE REMOVED THE SHORT FOR NOW. ALL YOU CAN DO IS TRY AGAIN. IF THE PROBLEM RETURNS BE A JIGGLER WHO ONLY JIGGLES A FEW WIRES AT A TIME AND THEN TESTS--YOU MAY USE FUSES BUT THE PROBLEM COULD BE FOUND THAT WAY

Comment

First thing I would look at is the turn signal wiring, especially the rears. Follow the wires out of the stalks around the rear fender and up under the seat. One of them may have come loose or the insulation is worn through and grounding out to metal. If that doesn't work check the forum, a similar problem just occurred with someone else.
          Axel

Comment

Originally posted by 1100ed
            TESTS--YOU MAY USE FUSES BUT THE PROBLEM COULD BE FOUND THAT WAY
            There are some nice little 10 and 15 amp tripping fuses now...automotive places have them. They plug right into the fuse box and trip as needed...but they reset as they cool down. So while you're troubleshooting...you aren't wasting those expensive little red things.

Comment

I feel for 'ya man. Just today I spent 6 hours of the most perfect riding day ever working on my signals and instrument lights. I HATE ELECTRICAL CRAP!!!
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Damn shorts....

Motorcycles vibrate, they get old. Most people think they should be able to just turn the key and ride year after year. But no. Once in a while they need service. Oxidation is enemy #1 for electrical connections. So, to combat this, remove connectors, spray with contact cleaner, then coat with dielectric grease. This will make your system trouble free for years. If you have to, remove connections, and file them down to the copper and or tin base metal, then reinsert.

Also look for burnt wires. This increases resistance and facilitates voltage drop and an increase in current. Worn insulation on wires is something to look for.

One thing I have learned, I used to hate electrical, but now it's an obsession, I can't stop trying to figger' out all I can. Electrical now seems to be the least of my problems....

Comment

Working...
                X