Clutch slipping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch slipping?

I am experiencing a bit of a problem with my 85 gs 1150 ef, and was wondering if the problem could be easily identified...
    When I crack the throttle wide open , no matter the gear, the bike revs really high....but doesnt go any faster at first...then it seems to finally grab and pick up speed, the problem seems to go away after extended riding, maybe because the plates have expanded in the heat?? I am thinking I need to replace my plates.
    What do yopu guys think??? what about springs?? do they need to go aswell, assuming it is a problem with the clutch?? What about the Basket too???
    Any and all info would be greatly appreciated
    Thx

sure sounds like you need to replace the clutch, have you checked the adjustment for too tight ? if you need to replace, do at least the fiber plates and springs, make sure the metal plates are flat and sand any glazing off.. just go with the stock plates and springs to make your life easier. Make sure the rivets that hold the basket to the driven ring gear are good and tight, or get the basket welded

Comment

how often do you change your oil??

try using a thicker oil and see if that helps any...

Comment

hi,

im experiencing a simlar problem at the moment too.

bumped up the oil to 20W the clutch slip is noticeably less, however will still slip profusely at 6000rpm if the throttle is not gently rolled on.

my next job willbe to check the plates etc.

Are the heavy duty clutches alot of effort?

or are there simple things to do.. eg uprated springs and the afore mentioned basket welding.

Cheers

Ed

Comment

Working...
        X