gs550t will not start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs550t will not start

OK 3 weeks after buying this bike and it still is not running. Posted this question on here befor, and was recommended to buy a voltage regulator/rectifier. I bought that and a battery since i bought the bike so i am 150.00 into this bike since i bought it. I put the voltage regulator rectifier on today and i push started it. No probs there. Then i took it for a ride and then let it sit idle for awhile to charge the battery. Turned it off and tried to restart it and as usual nothing happens. Now the solonoid clicks or does nothing. Now i can buy one from a local shop for 55.00 but before i put any more money into this thing i thought i would get some more opinions.
    Thanks in advance

Bill

why did you have to push start it--Ill guess--the battery was not charged when you wanted to start the bike--sounds like you are asking the charging system to charge an almost dead battery--I believe that they will at best maintain a charge if your battery is properly charged to begin with==please top off the water and charge your battery fully--slowly over night- then when you install it make sure the connections are clean and properly tightened-be sure the connections to the slenoid are also clean and properly tightened and so forth. I know you are in a rush to ride but the most important element is the battery being good and topped off properly to begin with--Now that you have your new parts in have you tested the charging system output to be sure the installation is done properly or are you lust hoping all will turn out OK--Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by 1100ed
      why did you have to push start it--Ill guess--the battery was not charged when you wanted to start the bike--sounds like you are asking the charging system to charge an almost dead battery--I believe that they will at best maintain a charge if your battery is properly charged to begin with==please top off the water and charge your battery fully--slowly over night- then when you install it make sure the connections are clean and properly tightened-be sure the connections to the slenoid are also clean and properly tightened and so forth. I know you are in a rush to ride but the most important element is the battery being good and topped off properly to begin with--Now that you have your new parts in have you tested the charging system output to be sure the installation is done properly or are you lust hoping all will turn out OK--Good Luck
      Scotty is absoluetely right here. A motorcycle electrical system is only good for maintaining a charge or recharging after a start. They will not charge a new/fresh battery.

In a new battery that comes with a dry charge (most standard), add the sulfuric acid solution to the upper limit and let it sit for about 2-3 hours. Check it and refill any solution you may have lost. After this, only add distilled water to the battery, never acid. Thgis can kill a good battery. Place the battery on a charger that produces <=2 amps, usually called a trickle charger, for at least 10 hours. Do not overcharge the battery. Make sure your connections are clean and put the battery in the bike.

If you know you have a good battery and all you get is "clicking" from the solenoid... place the bike in Neutral, on the center stand and bridge the two posts of the solenoid wth a screwdriver (insulated handle). If the bike starts, replace the solenoid.

Comment

i tried to bridge the solonoid but it still did not start. I borrowed my brother in laws battery charger so i will charge it overnight and see what happens. The battery was filled at the dealership when i bought it. I have charged it in the past for 3 hours but i think that is all i was running on. Hopefully this works.

Comment

Bill, check your e-mail. Still need to know if you have power in a few places. Bob

Comment

Ok i charged overnight and it started about the 3rd try. Took it on a 50 mile run stopping and turning off without a problem. Now when we were done with the ride my buddy adjusted the idle because it was idling at about 4000. Took it to 1500 and it ran for a few seconds and then died. Would not start after that so once again had to push start it. Adjusted the idle back to about 2500 and then drove it home. Turned it off again and still would not restart. Hooked it back to the battery charger for a few minutes and it started back up. Someone said it sounds like the carbs need adjusting, but the guy I bought it from just put new carbs on it. Anyone have a new suggestion. any help would be appreciated

Comment

Bill, sounds like your pilot jet is plugged up. This jet feeds the idle circuit. When the carb is above idle it is running on the jet needle and needle jet. These must be clean, letting it run well at that speed. You'll have to pull the carbs apart and do some cleaning. Check your pilot jet sizes and post them, somebody on the forum knows what size you need. What color are the pipes right out of the head? Bob

Comment

I finally got a book for this bike today so hopefully that will help. I will keep you posted.

Comment

i would say just rebuild the carbs the manuel they have here is very easy to follow and replace the o rings mine was runnin like *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ now it seems happier, my 550 t was kinda doin the same stuff, the outer 2 cylinder were fireing but not the inside 2 were not. i just bolted the carb back on tonight and fired it up and all piston were fireing, and now to tune them.
                  78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                  82 Kat 1000 Project
                  05 CRF450x
                  10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Working...
                  X