750/1000 engine swap questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

750/1000 engine swap questions

I have a 78 gs 750 that im in the process of swapping a 1000 engine into. I put the engine in the frame to see how the mounts lined up and from what i've read on hear the only difference in the mounts is that the upper rear mounts need to be a bit longer. But i noticed a few other problems. on the front of the 1000 engine the tube that the long bolt goes through is about 4mm longer then on the 750. So i was thinking that i can just put the left mount on the outside of the frame rather then the inside and then use a spacer to take up the extra room but then ill need to find a longer bolt which might be an issue. Does anyone know if i could use a 1000 motor mount or was the frame wider on those bikes? Also the side mounts dont line up. I've heard a few people say that they just left them off would this cause me any problems? anyone doing a similar swap or can lend me some insight. thanks in advance.

bump for some help

Comment

anyone have a little bit of advice for me? maybe someone could take a picture of the front motor mounts of an early gs 1000, that would help with my project anyone have on answer on how nessasary the side mounts are? Any help would be much appretiated

Comment

Don't leave off any of the mounts, fabricate them as needed. It's a good possibility other mounts will work, try to find one from the GS 1000, it would be a good place to start. For the longer bolt, use a good grade of all thread rod, cut it too leingth, & put nuts & lock washers on both sides.

Comment

Sounds to me that if you just used a dremel or something to cut down the longer mount then you'd be able to fit it inside the frame. Otherwise it sounds like the engine's gonna be lopsided.

Keep up with this though. I want to see how it goes, seeing as there aint an awful lot of people bragging about having a GS7/10.

Comment

moto dan has a 81 7/11, unless you realy know what to look for you would think it was stock.

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
              moto dan has a 81 7/11, unless you realy know what to look for you would think it was stock.
              The 16v 750 and 1100 was an easy swap or I would not have done it . The only differences in the mounts is the bottom center engine mounts which are not aligned. For several years I just didn't use those mounts, but a few years ago I repostioned the engine mounts so I could mount some case savers that I had on hand. I can't tell any difference by using the mount or not. I guess the 8v 750/1000 have other differences.

Comment

Interesting... Any significant differences in frame strength, etc... from the 750 to the 1100 that would be an issue when using a motor that large?

Comment

You could use a piece of threaded rod to make a bolt

Comment

Use the front motor mounts from the GS1000 The one on the right side front has an S curve to it. The mounts from the 750 are straight

Comment

I.m not sure which is which? These are some mounts I am saving for my
                      850G/1000G swap the one on the right has a slight curve the left has a pronounced curve to it. To give you some idea

Comment

Thanks a lot for the info and for the picture that will help out significantly. Anyone have any 8v Gs 1000 front motor mounts they want to sell? Anyone ill keep everyone updated on the project and hopefully put in on a web site along with the dimensions of the new motor mounts thanks again for the help.[/code]

Comment

Working...
                        X