Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I unplug my headlight without electrical problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I unplug my headlight without electrical problems?

Is it possible to run/drive my GS1100GL when the headlight is unplugged? I know it's not legal, but my motorcycle is actually a donor bike for a kit car so I can get away with it. www.robertmcray.net (click on picture of the rocket car).

I was concerned that the headlight may need to be connected to complete a circuit.

I checked the search feature for this one, heh, heh, heh.

Anyone?

Thanks,

Spud

SHOULDNT MAKE A PROBLEM--WOULDNT BE ANY DIFERENT THAN A BURNED OUT BULB UNLESS SOMEONE KNOWS SOME OTHER REASON

Comment

Drove mine around without the entire headlight assembly for almost a month - no problems.

Comment

Still second guessing myself

Thanks guys for the insights.

I am more than a little wary about doing it because someone said that my particular model (a GS1100GL) is set up so that dissconnecting the plug from the headlight would break a circuit and drain the battery, or damage the elctrical system..

Do ya'll think that there any truth to this?

BTW: There is no on/off switch, only high/low beams.

Thanks and enjoy the weekend,

Spud

Comment

I do know that on my bike, one leg of the stator goes through the light switch so that when the light switch is on then this leg is completed. Otherwise, it is not used. That way, when you have the extra load of the headlight, then you have an extra leg to provide more energy to the charging circuit.

Terry

Comment

robert what the heck is that. it looks like something from star trek.

Comment

Unplugging the headlight as such will not cause a problem. If the headlight is hardwired on, the reg/rectifier may work a bit overtime keeping the voltage within specs as it only switches in the third stator circuit when the headlight is on.

Comment

Working...
              X