Exhaust and Carb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust and Carb question

I have a question that is pretty general to all bikes (not about my GS but about my other bike - the Kawasaki Vulcan 800 I bought last week). I wa shooing you guys might be able to lend a word of advice. Here's the deal:

I just bought a '96 Vulcan 800 Classic last week. The previous owner removed the baffles from the exhaust (sounds cool but too loud for everyday use). He told me the carb was re-jetted but I can find no record of it in all the receipts he gave me and the bike seems to be running very lean. It is backfiring at certain times, etc and all my research in the manual and online points to a lean mix being the problem. If I put a set of stock pipes back on, will this probably cure the issue? I really do not believe the carb was re-jetted, I'm 99.9% sure it is stock. I'm looking at just going back to stock pipes because they are much quieter and will be more "neighbor friendly".

i say yea

I think that if the bike was not rejetted and has original jets then yes probally will cure your issue, "straight" pipeing definatly requires rejetting I have learned in the last couple of weeks lol

Comment

Is it possible to just replace the missing baffles in the pipes that are on the bike if I can't find replacements cheap?

Comment

Would something like this work?

Comment

NO those are for 2 stroke motors

Comment

this is the type you need
            Explore JC Whitney for premium auto parts & accessories, dive into car culture, & stay updated with the latest automotive events & tech trends

Comment

Thanks, didn't see the part about the 2 stroke on those other ones.

So one of these Internal Baffles in each pipe will quiet it down and restrict the airflow a bit? Just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly.

Comment

Working...
              X