oil in exaust is it fatal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil in exaust is it fatal?

ok installed new jet kit today in bike, started bike up, was adusting carbs per instructions with kit, and i notice a bit of oil leaking under bike, i thought was coming from the driveshaft so i got on ground to inspect, when i noticed that there was a small break in the weld where the pipes connect to the muffler, oil driped from there? is this fatal? what would cause this to happen? easy fix?

Are you sure it's oil, or is it just black water?

Comment

if oil had gotten that far down the exhaust system the bike would have been smoking pretty bad, was it?
      does the oil have a strong stinky smell to it? (gear oil)

if the final drive output seal seal is leaking it will leak onto the exhaust and run off the pipes.

look for signs of oil drops coming from the u-joint boot.

Comment

definately oil

its definaltley oil not black water, yes bike was smokeing, i assumed with new jet kit was running rich wich is what the instructions with the kit said. so i turned bike off and leaned out a bit. when i started it back up is when i noticed the oil, and no coming from both pipes, the left side "non shaft side" is leaking it by the joint where pipes connect

Comment

Fatal? No. New valve seals? Probably. New rings? Maybe.

Your plugs should tell the tale of if oil is getting in the combustion chamber, or if it's just new valve seals. Compression and leak down tests will also help diagnose the problem.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

looks like i may be rideing my busa to the rally lol

well this sucks, started tearing motor apart, jethro your a smart man, i need new rings and valve seals, hopefully my valves aren't ruined we will see. Looks like i'm gonna have to ride the trusty ole faithful busa to the rally........ I just hope you guys can keep up

Comment

oil

did the bike smoke before you messed with it ? if not did you run the bike so long while messing with it that it got hot and started pumping oil, if so you may have tore it down for nothing, always do a compression test first

Comment

I doubt the valves are ruined, but the valve guides may be. You will have to either take it to a shop to check the runout, or buy a runout gauge and a mount for it. I just bought a cheap one this winter. Cost me 100 clams.
                Currently bikeless
                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
                X