Valve buckets for stage II cams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve buckets for stage II cams

We are putting my Pops Yosh stage II cams in my GS1000 and I have a question. Can we use the stock valve buckets and shims with these cams? Or do we need something else? Also, does anyone have any degree info for these particular cams?

Thanks.

buckets

dont they suggest using a shim under bucket set up and also dont you have to clearence the head casting and check piston to valve clearence,

Comment

Re: buckets

Originally posted by Gee-s-is
      dont they suggest using a shim under bucket set up and also dont you have to clearence the head casting and check piston to valve clearence,
      For the first part yes, that's why I am asking. For the second part, huh? I am clueless and don't even know what that means

I just need to know if we can use the stock ones or if I will need something else. And also if anyone has any degree info for these cams.

Comment

call yoshimura ask to speak to the guy that has been there the longest he may know.

Address: 5420 Daniels St., Chino, CA 91710
        Phone: (909) 628-4722
        Information: (909) 627-9249
        Orders Outside CA: (800) 634-9166
        Fax: (909) 591-2198
        Web: www.yoshimura-rd.com

i'll pm a email address of a guy who may know as well

-ryan
        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x
        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Thx Ryan, going to check it out.

How comes I always come up with the hard questions that it seems no one knows the answers to? Not even the pros on here! I am the master at that I think :P

Comment

The Yoshimura superbike cams Int open 26 deg BTDC closes 56 deg ABDC ex opens 56 deg BBDC closes 26 deg ATDC Int lift 10.4mm ex lift 9.7mm clearance .005 in

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
              The Yoshimura superbike cams Int open 26 deg BTDC closes 56 deg ABDC ex opens 56 deg BBDC closes 26 deg ATDC Int lift 10.4mm ex lift 9.7mm clearance .005 in
              Lynn, as always, you are the man

Now are those the same as the cams I have? And if you don't mind, where did you get that info?

Comment

Info from the book GS1000 Preformance Portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
                  Info from the book GS1000 Preformance Portfolio
                  Really? It has that kind of info in it? I guess i will buy one then. They are always on ebay but are pricey.

Comment

cams

the headcasting in some cases around the bucket will not allow a high lift cam to clear the area at the front and rear of the bucket housing and must be ground down so the cam lobe will not hit that part of the casting, piston to valve clearence is how close the valve is going to come to the piston, at TDC and full open valve, you should have at least 50 thous.if not then you need to fly cut the valve reliefs on the pistons, keep in mind that if the clearence is to tight then you run a big chance of bending a valve if you miss a shift, you are increaseing the lift by 2.5mm on an average, so be careful, I would also check with yosh and see if the springs are up to par with this applacation I am betting there not, usally you can get by with out reliveing the head casting with this amount of lift and only drag cams need this but check it out also keep in mind that the valve stems are worn only to the stock lift, and you will be pushing an unworn part of that stem into the guide witch may cause a problem, with the valve stem seals, cams are not a drop in thing. if there not stock

Comment

Thats something else you may not have the Superbike cams ??
                      & email to Yoshi should get you the anser

Comment

call these guys too

they know ton's of stuff and are very nice, tell'em you have these yosh cams but you need some springs and see if they can give you some more info, they sell heavy duty spring which i bet you will need for these cams.

-ryan
                        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                        82 Kat 1000 Project
                        05 CRF450x
                        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

We already got the heavier springs that we need and really just need to set them in and see I guess? They were made for this engine so I wont be surprized if they do just drop in. But that is what is unknown. Joe is calling Yosh tomorrow.
                          We will get the scoop from them and know for sure. They did build Wes Cooley's bike after all with pretty much the same parts

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
                            How comes I always come up with the hard questions that it seems no one knows the answers to? Not even the pros on here! I am the master at that I think :P
                            Maybe this will help you. I just happen to have a Yoshimurs R&D catalog from back in 1980 that states....verbatim from the catalog....... "StageII cams (Bonneville etc.) are beyond stageI specifications and are best suited for racing applications. These cams offer a phenomenal increase in horsepower and torque in the middle to high RPM range. We recommend these cams for racetrack use only, however, a great many riders are using them on the street and enjoying the superior top end power. Once again a YOSHIMURA valve spring set is a must. Serious road racing applications require the use of an under-the-tappet shims (kit 1600-1602)"......No specs are given though...... Then they go on to say that with the StageIII cams the lightweight tappet set is mandatory...... The buckets are a bit pricey, but I would highly recommend them if you like to twist the throttle hard......BadBillyB

Comment

cams

ok just to throw fuel on the fire the springs are not a drop in and see item you will need to set a predetermened spring height, and seat pressure as well as check for coil bind at the lift of your cams, you can take then to a auto machine shop that have a spring tension and height press.,witch will tell you the info as to shims needed an spring tension at a given height, and can check for coil bind as well, when at full compression of the spring for the lift that you will have. these things are a MUST or you will damage the engine, iam not trying to dampen the project but I have set up a few race engines and know what you need to do to make it meet your expectations for these cams, I take it that the head is off the bike, you may want to see if there is a speed shop close to you that does set ups, may save you a lot of heart ache for a few bucks

Comment

Working...
                              X