Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BadBillyB
    Originally posted by Hoomgar
    How comes I always come up with the hard questions that it seems no one knows the answers to? Not even the pros on here! I am the master at that I think :P
    Maybe this will help you. I just happen to have a Yoshimurs R&D catalog from back in 1980 that states....verbatim from the catalog....... "StageII cams (Bonneville etc.) are beyond stageI specifications and are best suited for racing applications. These cams offer a phenomenal increase in horsepower and torque in the middle to high RPM range. We recommend these cams for racetrack use only, however, a great many riders are using them on the street and enjoying the superior top end power. Once again a YOSHIMURA valve spring set is a must. Serious road racing applications require the use of an under-the-tappet shims (kit 1600-1602)"......No specs are given though...... Then they go on to say that with the StageIII cams the lightweight tappet set is mandatory...... The buckets are a bit pricey, but I would highly recommend them if you like to twist the throttle hard......BadBillyB

That! Is what I am looking for! Thank you. I will probaly be told the same thing tomorrow when he gets off the phone with them.

Originally posted by Gee-s-is
    ok just to throw fuel on the fire the springs are not a drop in and see item you will need to set a predetermened spring height, and seat pressure as well as check for coil bind at the lift of your cams, you can take then to a auto machine shop that have a spring tension and height press.,witch will tell you the info as to shims needed an spring tension at a given height, and can check for coil bind as well, when at full compression of the spring for the lift that you will have. these things are a MUST or you will damage the engine, iam not trying to dampen the project but I have set up a few race engines and know what you need to do to make it meet your expectations for these cams, I take it that the head is off the bike, you may want to see if there is a speed shop close to you that does set ups, may save you a lot of heart ache for a few bucks
    Thanks for the info man. Your advice is right on track. What I think you mised (and I don't blame you, too much to read to catch up) is that is what I am doing. I am not doing this work. A professional jap bike engine builder with over 40 years experience is building this engine and knows them inside and out. He already knows, has ordered and is installing the proper valve springs for these cams. He had that info.

What we needed to know since would couldn't "test fit" (which is what I was talking about, this engine isn't near ready for fuel, no worries, he knows what he is doing) the cams to see if the lobs hit like you say they might. It is certainly something to check BEFORE putting the engine together.

What we needed to know was the info Lynn and Billy posted. If we could use the stock valve buckets yes or no and what degree info was for it.

I myself have about 1/4 or less knowledge about this stuff than you do. I appreciate all this info and tips.

Like I said, at this point Joe is just going to call Yosh. He said he thinks that the valve buckets out of a KZ650 work? I don't know. He does. He also said the shims may go under the bucket. Man I have no idea. I am just leaving it up to him.

Someday I will get a grip on it. But for now, this just needs done. I wish I knew as much about it as all you guys do. I am always learning.

I'll let you guys know how it works out.

Comment

My engine is being built by a 40 year old Japanes pro too Her name is Uki 8O
      Please forgive me for joking in the tech forum

Comment

cams

AAhhh so now I find out what is going on well good luck,

Comment

Originally posted by scotty
          My engine is being built by a 40 year old Japanes pro too Her name is Uki 8O
          Please forgive me for joking in the tech forum
          Where are the pics Dom???
          Dink

Comment

forget yosh...call this guy...he is their adviser and he has plenty of 1000's. he has one of cooley's race bikes too. When I contacted yosh for info they sent me to Doug.

KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

Thx Rob. That's going to help I am sure.

Comment

Working...
              X