Rebuild or just clean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuild or just clean

I tried to search on this topic and found nothing so I'll ask the question. My bike was purchased with the carbs removed from the bike. (obviously it didn't run when I purchased it.) The cash flow has been stopped after the purchase by the wife. So I'm wondering if it is possible to simply clean the carbs and put them back on without buying the rather expensive rebuild kits? $20 for the carb cleaner is a lot cheaper than around $100 for the four rebuild kits. I guess if I take the things apart and the needles and seats are all messed up I should probably wait until I can get the kits. But if I take things apart and things look good, just a little junky, can I forego the kits?

I've rebuilt a set of carbs and put them back together with the old parts. The problem is that the o-rings usually get compressed to shape and when you pull them apart, they won't go in the same. But you can get a set of o-rings from Robert Barr for $12 shipped to your door in a few days. If the float needle valves or seats are grooved, you are gonna need to get them at a minimum. Other than that, you can get away with out spending for the kits. Float bowl gaskets can usually be re-used if they don't get torn upon removal. The key is making sure they are clean, and I mean all little passages. They are easy to overlook- as I can attest.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Sell the wife to buy the carb kits

Comment

If you decide to re-use the old parts be sure that they stay with the carb that they came out of. Don't mix them up.

Comment

It is rare to find a carb with the internal parts so worn as to no longer be servicable. I would soak and clean the carbs. Its a given, you will need new "O" rings. As already said, Robert Barr is the person for those. Youre wasting your time to clean the carbs and not replace the "O" rings. I wouldnt buy the carb parts/rebuild kits as I dont think they are needed.

Earl
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by alan
            Sell the wife to buy the carb kits
            Although I like the idea, then who would take care of the kids? I'm sure I couldn't sell them. And in all honesty if I got rid of the kids, who would pick up the dog stuff in the back yard? I'm sure you are going to suggest selling the dog too.

Thanks for the advice everybody. I think I should be able to get this thing done for a lot less money that I originally thought.

Now I'm only left with a seat problem. I have the old pan with no foam or cover. I am leaning toward the idea of buying foam and vinyl and trying my hand a making my own seat. My wife is somewhat of a seamstress so I think I could get her to sew the cover for me. Ha, one good reason not to sell the wife. The joys of having a project.

Comment

What is the bike?
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                What is the bike?
                '79 GS1000L.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                  As already said, Robert Barr is the person for those...
                  Who is Robert Barr?

Comment

He's the o-ring man...

Inexpensive, well organized sets of o-rings for your carbs.

Comment

Then perhaps hereafter, we can refer to him as "The lord of the Rings". :-)

Earl

Originally posted by ptm
                      He's the o-ring man...

Inexpensive, well organized sets of o-rings for your carbs.
                      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                        X