Is she worth fixing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is she worth fixing?

I've owned a 77 gs400 for quite a few years now. Always cruised around on it a little each summer. Now with the way gas prices are, I'm about to drag it out of the garage again but she needs some work this year. My charging system has gone kaput, and thanks to the diagnostics on this site i've determined its only the reg/rec. I'm assuming everyone here would suggest getting the new one from electrix or whatever that company is. Also, when checking the spark plugs, my spark plug wire boot fell into a bunch of little pieces in my hand. Never good for getting good spark! I havnt even looked, but do the wires come apart from the coil? and if so, where can i buy them? If not, whats the whole shebang gonna cost me? Thanks to anyone who has some info for me!!!!!

I'd fix it. That's all regular maintenance for a motorcycle.

An RR from a wrecker around here will cost you 50% of an OEM replacement, an Electrex costs 55% of OEM. You could buy a pile of used ones off ebay if you wanted to, that would be a bit cheaper.

For the coils, I'm almost certain that the plug wires are part of them. Get a pair of NGK boots with the same angle and resistance. If there is enough slack you ought to cut off 1/2" of the plug wires before screwing the new boots on.

Steve

Comment

eBay is your friend. It's a great source for parts.

Comment

spark plug boots are cheep. you can get them at any motorcycle shop. take your old ones in to match hight.

for the R/R check out the honda swap.

Comment

Working...
        X