'83 550 carburetor problems....again!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'83 550 carburetor problems....again!!!

Okay. So after all I went through to get this thing running, now the carburetors seem to be overflowing. I changed the needle valves, and the seats. I checked the float levels, and even checked to see if the floats will float, and they do. The first ride I took it on after all of this when I got home I toticed that the right carb was a little wet. 8O It was kind of hard to tell where it was wet from, but I think it was higher than the float bowl. Then it started having starting problems :x Kind of like it was flooded. Like I said before I'm kind of new to all of this. Is there something elso that I forgot to adjust? Is there anything else that might need to be changed. Oh ya. I also changed the petcock, so I know that's not leaking either. Help? :?

I don't know exactly what happens, but I have had the same issue. I usually just took them back off, quick disassemble and spray out and reinstalled. If you don't want to go that far, pull the drains out of the carbs, take the tank off and use canned carb clean and run a ton of it down through the carbs (it will drain out the bottom). Replace the drain bolts and try again.

Make sure you have something to catch the carb clean unless you want that black paint removed!

Do not run the bike in the prime position for anything but starting (and then only cold starts).

It is probably something stuck in the needle/seat area. Also, run the float height as tall (when measured, low in operation) as the manual dictates (high end of the range). What are you using for that measurement now?

It will take you a few times to do these carbs right, it has been years for me and I don't always get it right 1st time (rarer than it used to be).

Kenny

Comment

The book said about .8 inches. I only remember the english measurement because I don't have any metric tool to measure that. Do you think that setting them lower would help? Or might that be bad? :roll:

Comment

Remember, when you measure them to get the fuel lower, the float sits higher! Yes, if it is too high, they flood really easy, been there, flooded that.

I will check tonight and try to post the measurement. I use a caliper to set the height, by using the entension end of it.

Kenny

Comment

I'll try your cleaning advice tomorrow. It just started snowing again here in Idaho (Strange), so I'm not too ancy to get it working. Just would be nice to get this out of the way. The other question that I was wondering about is tuning. I'm not too familiar with the motorcycle carburetor thing, and was wondering what all you have to adjust when you're messing with the air/fuel mixture. I know where the air screws are, but is there anything else that you have to adjust? If so where do you adjust that. And where to you adjust the air screws for that matter?

Comment

Send me your private email, I will respond directly. Send it to:

JenKenHall at icehouse dot net (you know what to do!)

Kenny

Comment

Working...
            X