Most economical tires for my gs850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most economical tires for my gs850

I have just bought a 1979 GS850 and it needs new tires. However I have no idea of which ones to get.. I traded my KAW S3 Tripple for it, and I do not ride alot ( I plan on riding alot more). Any suggestions of a good economical tire would be great. I need both front and back.

Welcome to the forum, uhhh, Maggot. 8O

Anyway, lots of people have used Cheng Shins for a cheap tire with success.

I myself don't trust my riding to anything but a real high quality Dunlop.The K505's are my current fave.

I guess it's all a matter of how hard you ride and of course how much scratch you got.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

If you shop around (including eBay), you should be able to pick up a pair of Dunlop K491 Elite II tires at a reasonable cost. They are excellent, because they work well on wet or dry roads and will give you decent mileage.

Comment

the Maxxis M6102 (front) M6103 (rear) pro maxx is the wat to go for a premium tire at a economical price.

and they come in our sizes.

Comment

The Dunlop Elites are good over-all tires. So are the Bridgestone Spitfires.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I've been running Bridgestone spitfires on my 850. If you get 'em, I wouldn't do any balls out cornering in the wet, although they are wearing nicely. It's a tradeoff................ 8)

Comment

I have been using Bridgestone Spitfires on my GK for the last year and they have serve me well enough that I picked up another pair for my 750.

Comment

I ride fast and far in all kinds of weather on Cheng Shin HiMax tires.

The other Cheng Shins aren't that great, but I've been very happy with CS HiMaxes, and they're a great value.

I can get a fresh set mounted and balanced at the local shoppe for $130, which is $20 less than one Dunlop.

Folks, please remember that not all of us have the equipment to mount our own tires. Internet tire prices are pretty useless -- what matters is the mounted and balanced price at the local bike shop. And none of the local shops around here will mount tires at all unless you buy the tires there.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
                  I ride fast and far in all kinds of weather on Cheng Shin HiMax tires.
                  I am running Cheng Shing front and rear tyres for 12.000 KM in all conditions without any problems.

Comment

The best tires I've gotten are unwanted tires. Go to your local bike shops and ask if they have any old tires that they want to get rid of. I've been given some fantastic deals doing this. If you try this be sure to check the tires for imperfections and date stampings.

Steve

Comment

Most economical tire 850

I have 2- 1980 850"s,One a G model,the other a L model.I had ChenegShin front&rear-3000mi. later the back tire was showing threads& the front was 75% gone too!Put a KendaK 657 on back & have gone 3500 mi.-still got 50% tread left!Oh-by the way I'm not doing burnouts/wheelstands either.They both cost about the same & the performance increase w/Kenda(esp. wet weather)-no brainer.Later put a Duro BLVD. HF296A up front & too early too tell about milage but happy about performance.Best place to get them is DennisKirk if you can wait a week.Since you need both tires you'll just clear $100 & that will get you free shipping!I went oversized front/rear.Front-110/90-19 & Rear-130/90-17w/no clearance problems.Have been a repeat customer w/Kenda on the rear of other bike too! HAPPY CAMPER

Comment

I recommend Cheng Shins from JC Whitney. I just put a front tire on my 750 and it only cost $40. My dad and I mounted it ourselves to save money. After about an hour of wrestling with tire irons, we finally got it. And it only cost me a pulled forearm muscle.

Comment

I've run quite a few different tires and have run Cheng Shins (I think I liked the Hi Max better than the others). If you can find Kings tires they run about the same price and last better than the Cheng Shins they also seem to have a little better traction but they are still not a really sticky tire.

I haven't had any problems with either of them except that they are usually shot in under 5000 miles. I pretty much run Dunlop 491 Elite IIs anymore due to there longer life and pretty much all round good performance but these also are not a sticky tire.

Comment

What kind of mileage do you get out of the dunlops?

Comment

Usually see about 3000 with my K505's.
                              Currently bikeless
                              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
                              X