Regulator/Rectifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regulator/Rectifier

Sorry, but I do not have a GS, (my uncle does though!). But I was wondering what the two wires from the R/R (output) do? I understand that there is a red wire that goes to charging the battery and lights, and the second wire (brown in my case) goes to power igntion and other things.

My motorcycle has 2 leads coming from the R/R, a red and brown. It is a 3 phase system. Why is there 2 leads coming form the the R/R? Do they both send out regulated 13.5VDC? Or is the brown wire unregulated? I just tested the output and I was getting a little more voltage from my red wire than my brown wire.

I also have a "single phase" charging system on my other bike. It has only 2 charging coils in parallel that go to the R/R and get rectified. It is a single cylinder 4 stroke. It also has a "source" coil for producing voltage for the ignition system. Why don't all motorcycles use a 3 phase system?
    Doesn't the R/R need a capacitor in parallel to filter out the ripple? :?

I am posting here because the editors said they won't answer direct e-mails. Anyone out there who can clear this up? I read all the stator papers and there is still some ambiguity. This is the best site I have found for understanding 3 phase charging systems.

Thanks in advance,
    Dave

CALL ME STUPID AGAIN BUT WHAT BIKE ARE YOU ASKING THE QUESTION ABOUT

Comment

R/r

Actually the bikes are listed in my signature below. Most bikes are the same, if you can't answer, maybe someone else can.

Comment

Can't answer, but nice avitar!! 8O
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Just a guess on my part the brown wire feeds 12 v to power the reg. turns it on when you turn the key on then output is feed thru red wire to battery

Comment

This is a Suzuki GS site...so thats all I know!

There will be a an output wire (likely red) and a ground wire. All the other wires plug into the stator to control the output.

Trail bikes can run different ignition systems, often runninng ignition only with minimal lights.

Best to look up the Electrelex site for your specific bike, as they vary. It is very comprehensive, and is the best source for 3 phase systems. Your manuals should have wiring diagrams

As for editors not answering, it is a GS site after all.......

Comment

Re: R/r

Originally posted by DaveyT
              Actually the bikes are listed in my signature below. Most bikes are the same, if you can't answer, maybe someone else can.
              YOU HAVE HURT ME DEEPLY

Comment

Re: Regulator/Rectifier

Originally posted by DaveyT
                Sorry, but I do not have a GS, (my uncle does though!). But I was wondering what the two wires from the R/R (output) do? I understand that there is a red wire that goes to charging the battery and lights, and the second wire (brown in my case) goes to power igntion and other things.

My motorcycle has 2 leads coming from the R/R, a red and brown. It is a 3 phase system. Why is there 2 leads coming form the the R/R? Do they both send out regulated 13.5VDC? Or is the brown wire unregulated? I just tested the output and I was getting a little more voltage from my red wire than my brown wire.

I also have a "single phase" charging system on my other bike. It has only 2 charging coils in parallel that go to the R/R and get rectified. It is a single cylinder 4 stroke. It also has a "source" coil for producing voltage for the ignition system. Why don't all motorcycles use a 3 phase system?
                Doesn't the R/R need a capacitor in parallel to filter out the ripple? :?

I am posting here because the editors said they won't answer direct e-mails. Anyone out there who can clear this up? I read all the stator papers and there is still some ambiguity. This is the best site I have found for understanding 3 phase charging systems.

Thanks in advance,
                Dave
                Dave,

Without a wiring diagram for your bike I could not tell you what the brown wire does. As far as why there are two leads, there may be an issue with current flow or short circuit prevention that Yamaha had concerns with. As far as being less voltage, I am willing to bet that the brown wire is a smaller wire which can result to a slightly higher voltage drop (due to resistance) than the larger red wire.

As for the single phase vs. three phase, you get more power out of a three phase system,and you get a smoother wave form after rectification (conversion from A/C to D/C), but the single phase system is a simpler system that is less costly. The single cylinder has less power need, and needs a rugged but simple charging system.

Some systems have capacitors (dry type normally) but many rely on the battery to give a smooth wave form. Remember, a battery is basically a very large capacitor…even the electrical symbol for the capacitor and the battery are very similar.

Hap

Comment

R/R wiring diagrams...

I just fried my R/R on my XT (single) and I tried to get the potting epoxy out so I could see the actual components, but I pretty much had to destroy it. But there is a diagram on the Stator pages that helps, but isn't totally clear. Like where is the ground wire in the circuit?

I am not completely clear with a GS's R/R so I can't compare it with my yamahas'. I am sure they are nearly the same, just wire color differences.
                  As far as using the battery to get DC waveform, this make a lot of sense. It's parallel to the output of the regulator. The stator pages go on to describe how all 3 phases are not regulated, just one phase is.

On my streetbike, the Red wire goes to the battery, cooling fan and headlights. The brown wire goes to the signal lights and ignition power. If I had a really good component level diagram of a R/R and TCI and or CDI I might understand better, they are hard to find.

I thought that avatar would get me booted; well, not yet! :roll:

Thanks for the info Hap!

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                    Can't answer, but nice avitar!! 8O
                    Got that E-Mailed to me some time ago. Something about dual air bags. I have it hanging up in my locker at work.
                    Kevin
                    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

the case of the RR is the ground

Comment

Working...
                      X