5.5 inch wheel on 1150 ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5.5 inch wheel on 1150 ??

Anyone done this? How did you pull it off? Wider swingarm? Offset sprockets?

Give Katman a ring.
    1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
    1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
    1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
    1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
    01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Yes it has been done!!! Yes it fits, you will need to either mix and match spacers, or make new ones. You may need to to modify your brake torque arm.
      Dink

Comment

Will the centerline of the rear wheel still be inline with the fronts,if not what kind off handling quirks will be involved?

Comment

A 180 tire on a 5.5 rim will fit in an 1150 swing arm with about 1/4" clearance on each side. Like Dink says you'll have to mix and match spacers or make up your own to center the wheel in the swingarm again. You will also need to offset your front sprocket to line up your chain again.
          Doze.

Comment

I just went through this. A 5.5 inch wheel will not fit into the 1150 swingarm (at least an '84). The wheel hub is 5/8 inch wider the the spacing between the axles and a 180 tire will rub the sides as you cannot move the wheel back far enough for clearance. It would take a lot of machining to get the wheel to fit, spacers, brake arm cut down, etc.
            I am purchasing a swingarm from www.swingarm.com. They will custom make it anyway you want, length, width, bracing, etc. They are the only place I could find that will make a swingarm for this bike.

Comment

TSP can make you an arm...Macintosh can make you an arm..You getting a good price?

Talk to Sebastian, Tell him Bill Fischbach sent you..he has access to both fabricators.

TSP did my last swingarm.It was fantastic. I havent heard much from them lately.

Its worth it to check around.
              EULC ON

Comment

Guys,

My experience seems to reflect that of GT1. I have an 85 1150 with an extended stock arm. I am still wrestling with getting my 5.5" to fit. My dilema is just about the same "5/8 that is mentioned above.

A lot has been said about this topic in the forums. It appears that the 1100 swing arm is a bit wider than the 1150 arm.

I am planning to machine down my brake arm and use a smaller sprocket carrier either salvage or milling down the stocker. Currently I have 5.5" wheel with a 190 tire (mock up). Given that my arm is extended, the tire is fine. I just need the extra 5/8" to get my brake arm in and a thinner sprocket carrier to center the wheel.

Does anyone recall hearing about any of the suzuki products having a thinner sprocket carrier like the 600 katanas.... ?

Comment

Any good machine shop can take material off your stock spacers and brake parts..Just measure it up...
                  EULC ON

Comment

A 4.5in rear/160 tire would likely be an easier swap. This combo fits easily within the stock swingarm on my 83' GS750ED. Unless you are making serious hp numbers, modern 160 size rubber should hold the rear in check.

'88-'90 GSXR rears are 4.5 along with the '98 and newer Katana 750/600.

Good Luck, Ed.
                    1983 GS750ED

Comment

Yes, I have 4.5``/ 160 tire conversion and it was no pain to do it, I used stock arm and brake caliper, shorten caliper carrier, sprocket carrier from 750 Katana.
                      This thing works great with my 87 GSXR front end ( 88 would be even better - cartridge ) and 010 / 020 Bridgestone radial tires.
                      I do not see any sense in installing 180 / 190 tire with additional cost of changing / machining swingarm.

Adam M.

Comment

Working...
                      X