warped bolt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

warped bolt?

this is actually a car problem but if you can help, much thanks, there is a bolt in the wheel that is warped and it is impossible to unscrew, everytime i try unscrew it the wrench slips. i tried wd 40 and it doesnt help, it is over torqued and wont come off, i tried lengthening the lever and it got the other over torqued ones off but not this. what can i do?

Re: warped bolt?

You might consider putting enough bolts back in to be able to take it to a garage with an air impact wrench. On occasion, I have resorted to tack welding a wrench to a stripped bolt head and once removed throwing the wrench and bolt away.

Earl

Originally posted by ice109
    this is actually a car problem but if you can help, much thanks, there is a bolt in the wheel that is warped and it is impossible to unscrew, everytime i try unscrew it the wrench slips. i tried wd 40 and it doesnt help, it is over torqued and wont come off, i tried lengthening the lever and it got the other over torqued ones off but not this. what can i do?
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Re: warped bolt?

Originally posted by earlfor
      You might consider putting enough bolts back in to be able to take it to a garage with an air impact wrench. On occasion, I have resorted to tack welding a wrench to a stripped bolt head and once removed throwing the wrench and bolt away.

Earl

OK...works....but it's a last resort.

If you have aluminum wheels, take it to a garage. If they are steel you can try heating the bolt with a propane torch (They are not very good at this job, but can do it). Get it RED hot, then walk away. . The heat may transfer through to the threads and break the rust bond or expand it enough that you can work with it. you may be able to turn the bolt after it cools a bit. DO NOT PUT WATER on it. Leave it alone to cool entirely on its own. If you need to reheat it, do so , but less than red hot when you want to twist it.

If the bolt is jamming againt the wheel as it turns, prop the wheel up enough toi support it , then remove all other bolts. If a wrench won't bite enough, then try vice-grips, and allow the wheel rim to turn with the bolt if necessary. If you are doing it hot, then do it as above, but if you waited uintil it cooled, use the WD40 again, and use it liberally.....wait at least a full minute after spraying before attempting to turn the bolt.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

tried the wd40, didnt do anything accept make the twrench slip more

Comment

Check with a tire shop they have special sockets to remove stripped lug nuts, wheel locks without keys etc. Or use a dremel tool and cut the nut off if you can't drive it to shop Another option use a good sharp chisel and a 10 lb hammer and cut the nut

Comment

if i cut the nut off what will happen to the actual stud?

Comment

if i cut the nut off what will happen to the actual stud?
              He probably won't be able to perform as well.

Seriously, I doubt a 10 lb hammer against a sharp chisel is a great idea as it invites more problems if the chisel slips or if you hit it too hard, as the wheel will suffer considerable damage.

A club hammer of 2lb to 3 lb will do nicely, and offer much better control

Once the nut is gone the stud can be removed with heat, but now by heating the drum or disk, or by application of dry ice to the stud. The heat expands the disk/drum and allows the bolt to turn easier, while the dry ice does the same thing, but in an opposite manner, shrinking the stud with cold.

Alternatively, it can be drilled out, but this needs another tooled called an easy out. You need to drill a hole in exact centre of your bolt/stud, a bit smaller than the threads. If you go that route Do NOT get the EZ out that looks like a screw. They break very easily and are almost impossible to remove.
              There are far better ones that are square tapers and have a cutting edge along the sides.
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
              X