Chain issues - '77 GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain issues - '77 GS750

I'm having some erratic chain behavior, just thought I'd run it by the crew here.

I adjusted the chain for the proper slack. Wheel moves nice and smoothly. Until I get about 3/4 around, then all of a sudden the slack is gone. Turn it a little more, the slack returns.

I watched the chain on the sprocket. During the slack period, the sprocket teeth and the chain links are lined up perfectly. During the tight period, the teeth and links are out of sync. I can actually hear the chain trying to slip itself back into the groove. As I turn the wheel, I watch it all line back up again.

My first thought is, this chain and this sprocket aren't a matched set. Perhaps the chain isn't the correct chain (highly possible given the state of this bike when I got it) or perhaps it's just gotten warped somehow.

Any thoughts?

You will always have a `tight' spot when turning the wheel and testing the chain slack. This is due to manufacturing tolerences in the sprockets and chain.

Find the tight spot, then do your adjustment with the wheel in this position to the recomended minimum slack.

If you then turn the wheel to find the slackest point, and this is more than the recomended maximum slack, you probably have an eccentric (runs off center) sprocket.

Footy.

Comment

Are you setting chain tensoin while sitting on the bike? Mine ends up to be almost 2" slack unless I am on the bike...
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Sounds like your chain has a kink in it. As far as I know, any 630 chain should fit any 630 sprocket. When the chain gets a tight spot (kink), that will not bend around the sprocket properly, it looks like the chain is kind of trying to ride up on the teeth. ___May improve with excessive amounts of penetrating oil on that spot, but not likely.

Comment

Sorry to say sprockets are toast , And CHAIN TO

Comment

Also, if all is like it should be, there will be no tight spots

Comment

Chain issues - '77 GS750

I had an epiphany--you know, the kind that hits when you think, "I oughta check the specs on this chain..." And well, the chain is 1/2 inch out of spec. I reckon that would account for the misalignment...duh.

Comment

chain? sprockets?? what are those??
                shafties rule!

Comment

Amen, Focus, Amen O

Comment

Someday, when I get old and feeble, I'll get me a shaftie.

Comment

Re: Chain issues - '77 GS750

Uhhhh yeah, if the little spaces between the pins on the chain are 1/2" away from where they told the sprocketeers they were going to be, there could be some problem with them getting together and taking a cohesive political stance.

Earl :-)

Originally posted by ohgodkevin
                      I had an epiphany--you know, the kind that hits when you think, "I oughta check the specs on this chain..." And well, the chain is 1/2 inch out of spec. I reckon that would account for the misalignment...duh.
                      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
                      X