• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

had a clutch, now its gone

bike:
    81 gs550L

situation:
    cleaning up the carbs the other day, and while i had the rack out i figured i would change out the clutch cable since i was there.
    change out was no problem, but when i got everything slapped back together, my clutch wont engage.

tried every manner of adjustment on the cable and am not getting an engagement. what could possibly have gone wrong. everything was A-OK previous to the cable swap.
    the cables are the same, so there isnt an issue there....
    whats the deal?

thanks

this may help

i dunno if this has anything to do with it, but the battery is disconnected...

Comment

Re: this may help

Originally posted by uudfourty
      i dunno if this has anything to do with it, but the battery is disconnected...
      The clutch will not have anything to with electrical. If you havent adjusted your cable yet then that might be the problem. I would look at that first and double check that you connected everything correctly. If thats not it then thats confusing.

Comment

You may have to move the lcuch adjuster down on the engine in order to get more adjustment happened to me one time when I changed clutches.

Comment

aight

ok, thanks. ill see what i can break.

Comment

maybe..

is there any way i could have accidentally moved the push rod out of position or something?
            ive adjusted the cable and moved the little adjustment screw inside the spiral gear thing every way i can imagine. getting nada.

Comment

Re: maybe..

Originally posted by uudfourty
              is there any way i could have accidentally moved the push rod out of position or something?
              ive adjusted the cable and moved the little adjustment screw inside the spiral gear thing every way i can imagine. getting nada.
              Turn the adjuster arm on the cases fully clockwise until you can feel resistance. This is the point at which the clutches are going to begin disenguaging. Then you can adjust the slack in the cable at both ends of the cable to get it right. You can also take the arm off and re-key in the slots if necessary.

Comment

Working...
              X