Carbs for GS1000S, 1979 or 1980 CV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbs for GS1000S, 1979 or 1980 CV

Problem: My 1979 GS1000SN carbs are beyond help. Will the 1980 CV carbs from the later 8-valve 1000 interchange without modifying the head? My factory manual does not go beyond 1979 so I have no data on the later models, but I do have a set of CV carbs from a 16-valve GSX which are obviously much larger. I can obtain a good set of the later GS1000 carbs on ebay if they are compatible with the small, 1979 joints. I fear that the CVs may be larger and require rubber joints which use hose clamps at both ends-like the GSX carbs that I have. My joints (connectors) attach to the intake ports with screws. Machining the head and/or enlarging the ports is not an option. Thanks, Buzz

The CV carbs will not bolt up to the '79 head. Why are your VM carbs beyond help???
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Don't think they will work, different size & type mounting. If you could find a head from a GS 1000, that came with CV's, that mav be an option. Look close at your carbs, there's not much in there to ware out, very few moving parts, just very small ports & passages that must be completely clean. Also, I think the pet cock was in a slightly different location on the GS 1000 tanks that came with CV carbs ie. an "80" GS 1000 S or GS 1000 E.

Comment

the 80 up 1000 with CV's uses the same mounting as the pre-80, I am not sure if the screw hols in the rubber manifolds is spaced the same.
        I do know that the intake ports are alot bigger so that would be a problem as suddenly going from a big hole to a small hole with a sharp edge will cause strange air flow problems.

Comment

forget it Buzz, Keith is right!, cv and vm are totally different spacings. you can get a refurb kit for your vm's and with the carb rebuild guide on this site,job sorted. Dave.

Comment

Working...
          X