Jetting an 1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jetting an 1100

I finally got the 83 1100E back together and running. It has a bore kit in it and I am told it is 1197cc. Engine is fine, carbs rebuilt, idle circuits and midrange are about pefect. I have a stock airbox and filter on it with a NOS 4 into 2 exhaust system (the factory one) There are no visable numbers (with a bright light and magnifying glass) on the main jets. The bike at aprox 75 mph is running out of fuel on all four carbs when I twist the throtle farther. The plugs at that point are burning way too clean with only the slightest hint of a whiff of tan on the center ceramic. I am sure the mains are not large enough to meet demand. Also, upon shut down, the bike will crackle lightly for a minute.........to much heat. Anyone know, or running a 1197 kit with stock exhaust and intake......what the appropriate main jet size is? Considering the degree of lean I have, I'm thinking I need at least 2 full steps in jet size.

Earl
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Suprised it still has a bore kit and still has the stock airbox and pipe. My jetting won't be anywhere close to yours, not to mention it still isn't right.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Won't be much help, but with 1148 pistons, stock air box with lid removed, and V & H pipe, 127.5 worked real well. Never seen jets with no markings. ????????????

Comment

I know you Earl, and I have to assume everything else has been considered that could cause fuel starvation. Failing petcock, small fuel line, tank venting, floatbowl venting, float level...
        75 mph in top gear is still under 1/4 throttle, correct? If the starvation happens as soon as the throttle is opened slightly more, then it could be the needle circuit. We all know the main doesn't really regulate flow until about 3/4 throttle. Of course, if the unmarked mains are WAY too small, I suppose they could be the cause.
        If it is the mains, I think your idea of two full sizes up is a good starting point. Adjusting the float levels to the richest setting within their "range" can help with a piston kit.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I'd start at 140 (Mikuni) and work my way up. Heck at 1197 I might even go with 150's first.
          1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
          1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
          1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
          1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
          01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Gonna intersperse replies with your comments............. easier that way. :-)

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
            I know you Earl, and I have to assume everything else has been considered that could cause fuel starvation. Failing petcock, small fuel line, tank venting, floatbowl venting, float level...
            **************** Yeah, you can count on that. heh Short vents on the bowls, etc. Float levels set at high fuel level spec. I havent hooked clear tubes to the bowl drains to visually check actual level. I guess I should do that to verify settings before making jetting changes.

75 mph in top gear is still under 1/4 throttle, correct?
            **********At most, it is about 1/4 throttle.

If the starvation happens as soon as the throttle is opened slightly more, then it could be the needle circuit. We all know the main doesn't really regulate flow until about 3/4 throttle. Of course, if the unmarked mains are WAY too small, I suppose they could be the cause.
            ******************** I am thinking larger mains would result in a larger area around the partially withdrawn needles resulting in more fuel flow. Considering the relationship of the needles moving up and the resultant increase in jet throughflow area, I'm inclined to think raising the needles is not a solution.

If it is the mains, I think your idea of two full sizes up is a good starting point. Adjusting the float levels to the richest setting within their "range" can help with a piston kit.
            *********** When I got the bike, it had no lid on the airbox and no airfilter, it was just an open box. The exhaust was a 4 into 1 drag header with a VW car muffler U bolted to the header. I dont know how well/ if, the bike ran like that. I replaced/installed the correct lid on the airbox with the stock filter element. I had on my parts shelf, a NOS factory 4 into 2 exhaust system for an 1100, so that is what is on the bike and why I have a big bore engine with stock intake and exhaust. LOL I'm not after top end HP. I tune for crisp, smooth throttle response and good midrange. I dont like excessive noise either.

My Clymer doesnt list (that I can find anyway) the stock jet sizes and there are no discernable markings on the jets installed. The surfaces are clean, there just isnt any number on them. I need to go a couple sizes bigger than what I have, but a couple sizes bigger than what? :-)

I think Luke's/Skip's 1150 is 1229 cc with pods and four into one. I belive Luke is runnig 135 mains. Considering my stock intake and exhaust, and slightly less displacement, I dont see needing mains larger than 135. I run 122.5 across the board in my 1150.

What is the stock jet size for an 83 1100E? I'm guessing it has to be at least 115.

Is there anyplace I can get decimal equivalents for mikuni jet sizes?

Earl

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I don't know if there were any stock jetting changes from '82 to '83 but on my '82 1100e the stock jets were Mikuni 115.

Jeff

Comment

On the -84 it's 120 f?r all carbs (like Sweden) , some markets 120 carb #1 and 4 122,5 f?r carb #2 and 3.

but you probably know that already.......

Comment

In considering everyone's replies, my best guess is to start with 130's. From there, if I have to make a change, I'm inclined to think it would be to 127.5 or 132.5.

Earl

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                    In considering everyone's replies, my best guess is to start with 130's. From there, if I have to make a change, I'm inclined to think it would be to 127.5 or 132.5.

Earl
                    I drove my 1150 with V&H Megaphone, 1 K&N filter and no lock on the air-cleaner with 130, so i think not you are to rich with 130.

Give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                      Gonna intersperse replies with your comments............. easier that way. :-)
                      *********** When I got the bike, it had no lid on the airbox and no airfilter, it was just an open box. The exhaust was a 4 into 1 drag header with a VW car muffler U bolted to the header. I dont know how well/ if, the bike ran like that. I replaced/installed the correct lid on the airbox with the stock filter element. I had on my parts shelf, a NOS factory 2 into one exhaust system for an 1100, so that is what is on the bike and why I have a big bore engine with stock intake and exhaust. LOL I'm not after top end HP. I tune for crisp, smooth throttle response and good midrange. I dont like excessive noise either.

My Clymer doesnt list (that I can find anyway) the stock jet sizes and there are no discernable markings on the jets installed. The surfaces are clean, there just isnt any number on them. I need to go a couple sizes bigger than what I have, but a couple sizes bigger than what? :-)

I think Luke's/Skip's 1150 is 1229 cc with pods and four into one. I belive Luke is runnig 135 mains. Considering my stock intake and exhaust, and slightly less displacement, I dont see needing mains larger than 135. I run 122.5 across the board in my 1150.

What is the stock jet size for an 83 1100E? I'm guessing it has to be at least 115.

Is there anyplace I can get decimal equivalents for mikuni jet sizes?

Earl
                      Earl,

I'm confused (not that unusual). You have a NOS Factory 2 into one exhaust on your inline 4 cylinder? I'm guessing you mean 4 into 2 into 1.

I checked my factory manual and the stock jet sizes are:

Main jet: 112.5
                      Pilot jet: 45

By the way, has anyone ever told you that PODs make removing and installing the carbs much easier? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Joe
                      IBA# 24077
                      '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                      '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

I tell ya, you just cant get away with anything around here. LOL I meant 4 into 2. :-) I have personal moments of loss of ignition. :-)

As far as PODs go, having nothing would be even easier. LOL although they make removal easier, once set up, its rare that I need to remove the carbs. They also do not lend themselves well to the engine characteristics I prefer. I prefer a more tractible throttle, lower noise levels, better mid range and better gas milage. I am certain the bike will pass 150 mph no matter how I set up the intake and exhaust and that is enough, at least for me on city streets. :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Joe Nardy
                        I'm confused (not that unusual). You have a NOS Factory 2 into one exhaust on your inline 4 cylinder? I'm guessing you mean 4 into 2 into 1.

I checked my factory manual and the stock jet sizes are:

Main jet: 112.5
                        Pilot jet: 45

By the way, has anyone ever told you that PODs make removing and installing the carbs much easier? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Joe

Comment

[quote="earlfor"]Gonna intersperse replies with your comments............. easier that way. :-)

If the starvation happens as soon as the throttle is opened slightly more, then it could be the needle circuit. We all know the main doesn't really regulate flow until about 3/4 throttle. Of course, if the unmarked mains are WAY too small, I suppose they could be the cause.
                          ******************** I am thinking larger mains would result in a larger area around the partially withdrawn needles resulting in more fuel flow. Considering the relationship of the needles moving up and the resultant increase in jet throughflow area, I'm inclined to think raising the needles is not a solution.
                          A larger main won't increase the flow at 1/4 throttle. When the needle is rising up until 3/4 throttle, the space around the needle will still be smaller than the main, so the needle is still doing most of the work. Of course, if you have a very small main involved, the main would kick in a little sooner.
                          If you're really wondering what size the mains are, you could rig up a flow test into a marked container and compare with known jets. Hook up a fuel line clamped to the jet and see how much fuel flows in a minute. One of your spare jets may yield the same amount.
                          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Fuel starvation is not immediate, it accelerates well for about 3 seconds after more power starts coming on, then it acts exactly like I turned the petcock off and all four run out of fuel. No cough, no miss, just abruptly decreasing power.

I wish you would quit teasing me because Y'know, everytime you wave a carrot at me...........................:-) :-)

You said...................."A larger main won't increase the flow at 1/4 throttle. When the needle is rising up until 3/4 throttle, the space around the needle will still be smaller than the main, so the needle is still doing most of the work. Of course, if you have a very small main involved, the main would kick in a little sooner. "

Uhhh, lets talk about that. :-) A larger main leaves more space around the needle as it raises. At 1/4 throttle the needle has moved up slightly, so a larger jet is going to allow more fuel throughout the range of needle movement. I know some approach the situation working from low end to high end when setting up carburetors, but my instinct is to size the main first, then adjust the needle for midrange, and finally to set up the pilots.

Earl

A larger main won't increase the flow at 1/4 throttle. When the needle is rising up until 3/4 throttle, the space around the needle will still be smaller than the main, so the needle is still doing most of the work. Of course, if you have a very small main involved, the main would kick in a little sooner.

Comment

I can understand why you think a larger main will help in this case, but the carbs are just not designed that way. Any jetting chart or Mikuni info will show us that. Only if the mains have been switched to a too small main would your idea make sense.
                              The smallest opening in the main/jet needle/needle jet passage will regulate the flow. At 1/4 throttle (your problem point) to 3/4 throttle, the opening around the jet needle is still smaller than the main opening. At about 3/4 throttle, the opening around the needle becomes larger than the main and the main takes over.
                              If your problem is at approximately 1/4 throttle and a bit more as you say, then the needle circuit is causing the problem. I swear Earl. I wouldn't mess with ya'! Check any jetting chart or Suzuki carb info and it will tell you the same thing.
                              I would definitely suspect the mains in your case but only because they're unmarked. A bore kit will effect the mid-range a lot.

Comment

Working...
                              X