points question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

points question

i have a 1980 gs850G and im curious where are the points on it? i've read a few msg's on here about people switching from points to a dyna s system? is this a direct swap into my bike? or would there need to be some modifications done to make it all work?

thanks for some advice!

brad (still service manual-less lol)

Re: points question

The breaker plate and points assembly is under the round cover on the right end of the crankshaft. Your bike would already have the mechanical advance unit the Dyna S requires. No modifications to your bike are needed to install the Dyna S. (other than replacing the breaker plate/point assembly with the Dyna Unit.) You will have to splice one + switched power source to the Dyna to power it. The installation directions that come with the Dyna are excellent, so you shouldnt have a problem.

Earl

Originally posted by hustler
    i have a 1980 gs850G and im curious where are the points on it? i've read a few msg's on here about people switching from points to a dyna s system? is this a direct swap into my bike? or would there need to be some modifications done to make it all work?

thanks for some advice!

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by hustler

thanks for some advice!

Your '80 850 should already have electronic ignition (no points).
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I thought the 850 8 valve was the exception that retained the points for that year. Apparently not I guess. LOL

Earl

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
          I thought the 850 8 valve was the exception that retained the points for that year. Apparently not I guess. LOL

Earl

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
          I'm not positive Earl, you may be right. He can find out by just removing the cover though.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

i'll prove this right or wrong hopefully tonight when i get home from my parents house!...and i'll report back with info reguarding my model.

thanks for the help guys...its much appreciated

cya
            brad

Comment

I have a 79 850G. It has points. Is the Dyna electronic unit still available?? Cost?? Where can I get one??

Thanks

Comment

The Dyna S is still widely aqvailable. Bikebandit, deniskirk, or ronayers would stock it. bikebandit would likely be the most expensive and ronayers the least. cyclerecycle in indianapolis is my first choice of where to buy. Their prices are good and their service is by far the best of any place on the internet I hav found. I dont think they stock the Dyna S, but if you call them on the phone, I am pretty sure they will order it for you. The number is 317 634 7550. Their online catalog is at http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/
                They stock everything in their catalog but also have small quantities of other things they do not show in their catalog. If you call them, you will want to talk to Rob. he really knows his er ahhh "beans" LOL

Earl

Originally posted by daverx1
                I have a 79 850G. It has points. Is the Dyna electronic unit still available?? Cost?? Where can I get one??

Thanks

Comment

its electronic with a mechanical advancer

Comment

welp i took that cover off last night to investigate...i dont know what it is really. it dosnt look like a points set up that i've seen. i have a 73 nova, it used to have points w/ the old sixer in it. and these on the bike resembled nothing of it.

it looked more like a hall effect switch with some mechanical advance stuff under it.

so im assuming this is not points??

cya
                    brad

Comment

Hall effect switch means it is not points. You have electronic.

Comment

Working...
                      X